1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi out of sync

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by bartyboy7, Nov 17, 2006.

1. bartyboy7

bartyboy7 Guest

i downloaded a few episode of a series and one of them is maybe 2 seconds out of sync. is there a way of adjusting this. i opened the avi in media player classic and adjusted it in there so i could watch on computer. is there a way to save it that way or is it not that easy. any help would be appreciated thanks

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

If your file is 2 seconds out of sync constantly and maybe even gradual, not sure, try this program and use the file it gives you: AviMux_GUI: http://www.alexander-noe.com/video/amg/ Drag and drop your video into the top window, highlight it and select "generate data source". now, in the lower window, highlight the audio and the delay in ms will appear to the right (I have only seen 0 for gradual sync issues), select start saving the file where you want. You will have a new file to use in a minute or 2.

3. bartyboy7

bartyboy7 Guest

thanks very much. it is now spot on. much appreciated

4. mariea

mariea Member

Our problem is that it's "gradual" starts out with sound and picture in synchronisation but after a few minutes they are out and gradually get worse. We downloaded the program you referred to and, as you said, it said "0" in the box to the right. We have entered different numbers, between 3 and 10, and have settled on 8. The sound is still off, but not as bad. Maybe two seconds off. There seems to be no way to get it any closer than that...unless you have another idea? Thanks and rgds.

5. mistycat

mistycat Active member

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Usually AVI files don't change synchronization, unless they are converted to MPEG.
    And if the AVI aren't in sync the A/V delay is constant (200 ms delay at the beginning means you'll have a 200 ms delay in the end).

Did you tell us everything?
    because if you converted you maybe must read my FAQ.

7. mariea

mariea Member

What happened was we downloaded from the internet six 3 Stooges shorts, we love the 3S. They are in "avi" format. Since we did not create the originls ourselves, we don't know what the person who made them did to create them. In any event, they start out in synch, but after a minute or so they no longer are, and by the end of the movie (they each are abut 10 minutes long) there is a considerable gap.

8. mariea

mariea Member

Here you can see the beginning of the "Seeee" peak and the audio is about 0.939 seconds ahead out of sync.

I checked the illustration very carefully, looked at it for several minutes, but still could not see how it was deteremined that the audio was "about" 0.939 seconds off. This is an approximate figure? Did not realize such detail was possible.

9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Actually, I've never used that guide and couldn't see .939 either. A couple of other things you can try are AviFixed or DivFix. Ensure "save origonal file" or something like that is checked or your file will be deleted.

10. mariea

mariea Member

Thanks so much for trying to help us, but nothing works. We tried the AViFix, downloaed it and followed its instrs. The file it created had nothing it in, just an instant of something, and then no prog at all. Tried several times. So that won't work for us. The other one helped a little, but sound is still off by severl seconds after the movie plays for a few minutes. Strange, it starts out in perfect synch. Oh well, thanks again and good luck.

11. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Last shot I know of. If your encoder allows you to enter the audio source seperately, you could create a wav and use that: http://www.videohelp.com/virtualdubaudio.htm GSpot (dumb name but great program) will show if the audio is AC3 (lower left in my version - 2.52 but they are up to 2.60 now, so not sure).

12. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Actually, I do have one other suggestion but don't know if you'll be interested. I don't know what program you're using to encode but VSO's ConvertXtoDVD is very good with audio issues, has fantastic quality, is fast and easy to use. Nothing else is needed but not free. There is a trial but it will put a watermark in your video.

13. mariea

mariea Member

Actually am not using anything to encode. I don't even know how to encode things. What I did was just download the movies from the internet. Whatever encoding that was done must have been done before I got them. Anyhow, am going to try both those progs you mentioned , the virtual dub and the covert x to dvd, and will get back. Thanks again and rgds.

14. mistycat

mistycat Active member

A wav created by Virtualdub will not work in ConvertXtoDVD but ConvertXtoDVD is all you will need to encode, author and burn your video to DVD to view on your TV and will even create a simple menu so that you can choose which file to play. But, if your file is out of sync before it's encoded, you're probably better off downloading another copy. Nothing I ever heard of will fix that.

15. mariea

mariea Member

Yes I just found that out too. The Convert X to DVD worked very well, and fast too (2x speed) to convert the file into DVD format. I held my breath hoping that the DVD format would fix the problem, but it didn't. Now onto the Virtual Dub prog and see if that does anything. Sadly I can't redownload the files since they are no longer posted, but even if they were the redownload likely would have the same problem, ie sound and picture not matching.

16. mistycat

mistycat Active member

There are lots of p2p programs out there and a different one may have the file. Frostwire is one of the best, if you aren't using it or BitTorrent (BT is better for larger files but both work). Also, if you're in an area that recognizes copyright law, get ahold of PeerGuardian; a kind of p2p firewall that blocks known ip addresses that spy on you and report what you're downloading to the RIAA/MPAA. Not 100% but very good: http://phoenixlabs.org/