1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI playback low quality with HDTV and upconverting DVD player

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Newfee, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Newfee

Newfee Regular member

Hi guys. I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere so I finally had to come back to Afterdawn after a couple years...here goes:

I've been watching AVI's for while now, but recently bought a new HDTV. The quality is not as good as my old TV when I watch AVI's. I have an upconverting DVD player. I'm just wondering if AVI's provide lower quality in general when watching on HDTV or do I need a better upconverting player? Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me! Oh yeah, the AVI has a resolution of about 616 x 252 and I have an 1080i HDTV. Thanks.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Older CRT TV's are better at hiding imperfections. With a decent 1080i or better yet 1080p TV they are there for all to see and 616x252 is obviously well bellow the displays native resolution and there is only so much upconverting can do. Basically all it does is use a better resizing algorithm than perhaps your TV uses.

3. Newfee

Newfee Regular member

Thanks for the reply...that exactly what I needed to know. So I guess my options are to either play an AVI with better resolution or stick with DVD backups? Thanks again!

4. Newfee

Newfee Regular member

Are there better upconverting players out there? I don't know the model number, but I have a Sammy player.