1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI Player Search

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Waspie, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Waspie

Waspie Member

Hi, can anyone reccomend a reasonably priced dvd player that plays AVI files? I'm looking to buy one as gift. I have a Yamada 6600 and would more than happy to buy another one of these if I could find one anywhere to buy!!!

Also sorry I seem uninformed, but I'm just starting out on the whole AVI, DivX and XviD thing - Are WMA and XviD the same thing?

Many thanks.

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

The Yamada I belive was MTK based, so any other MTK based player should be ok. What players are available tends to vary depending on your location.

Xvid is an MPEG-4 Part 2 ASP video codec. WMA = Windows Media Audio, which is a propritary Microsoft audio codec usually stored in an asf container with an .wma extension. In terms of hardware support most only support WMA std and not pro, lossless, etc. If you want more info on WMA/Xvid, try wikipedia or a more multimedia specific wiki like maybe hydrogenaudio (for wma).

3. Waspie

Waspie Member

Thanks very much celtic_d for the responce. Again pardon my ignorence but what does MTK based mean, and what am I looking for when checking out the suitability of a DVD player?

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

MTK = MediaTek; a chipset manufacturer.