1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI resizing

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by coldwoim, Feb 26, 2007.

1. coldwoim

coldwoim Member

problem here...i resized my original 640x352 avi to 640x480 using virtualdub. i also filtered it with the subtitler and saved it as avi. now when i convert and burn it to dvd and tested it on a dvd player, i can only see half of the subtitles! i know there is something wrong with the resizing but i don't know how. i want to have a fullscreen version at the same time readable subtitles....any suggestions? any help would be greatly appreciated...

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Nope. If you were the one which added the subtitles to the movie, you should have used those filters order:
    1) Resize
    2) Subtitler
    so the subtitle is added after the resizing.
    But, if the subtitles have already been encoded in the video, there's nothing you can do: if you modify the screen, you modify the subtitle too.

But I don't know why you want to convert a 640x352 to 640x480.

First, this conversion doesnt keep aspect ratio. 640/640=1 but 480/352 =1.3636636...

Seecond: the qualiry of a 720x420 movie made from a 360x210 movie is identical to the one having the lowest quality. The quality never encreases, it can only remain equal or decrease. Imagine to create a picture simply by putting a postcard-size picture into a Xerox set to enlarge its size by 800%.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  3. coldwoim

coldwoim Member

thanks bro...i found the problem. i'm using srt-ssa converter,i just modify the distance b/n the borders to 20 pixels...i can see the subs now...i want to resize 640x352 cause when i burned it to dvd, the movie looks like a widescreen version with those two black blocks above & below the movie. anyways using virtualdub, i changed it to 4:3 fullscreen version and xvid compression & the quality looks fine and everything is going smooth so far...thanks again bro...