1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi to dvd-----dvd shrink and dvd decrypter

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by markrudd, Jan 27, 2007.

1. markrudd

markrudd Guest

i am kind of new. i first tried coverting the AVI using win AVI video converter and then i burnt it using a mix of DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. it said it was completed successfully but when i tried to view it in my dvd player it wouldn't play. it plays on my computer though. so i followed the directions on this site using infoedit and TMPGEnc and again used DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. i used avicodec but i am not sure if that was the problem. i know i am being vague but i am not sure what i did wrong, it was like a 20 hr process and it still wont play, yarrr. could it be a codec problem, i am lost, i suck

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

You should be able to use one program to convert and make your output the right size.

I imagine WinAvi can do this. What's the running time of the AVI?

You could try this free app on your AVI.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=DVD_Flick

3. markrudd

markrudd Guest

it has a running time of 1:48. i tried using avi2dvd and following the guide but again it wouldn't play on my dvd player. the next time i try to convert i will use your suggested app but i have wasted 3 discs already. i wish i could figure out the problem or even the symptoms so i could get help. thanks for the advice though

4. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

Is it possible that your avi file could be in PAL format? That happens to me a lot and I hate it.

One way to check is to download G-Spot
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/gspot.cfm

Open up your file (you may have to set it up to auto render in the settings) and check to see how many frames per sec. Hopefully once you know what region it is then we can go from there.

Also, I had a hard time with this one file and all I had to do was find a program that would eliminate the menu my converter had set up. I use convertXodvd. Then to eliminate the worthless menu, I open up the video ts folder with shrink, encode it, and then burn with dvd decryptor. No problems yet.

5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

The menu is an option in ConvertX, just un-tick 'Include Menu'.

6. Aithin

Aithin Member

I am new to all this as well. However, after much frustration, I figured out that my DVD player will only play DVD+R discs. (even though the manual says that it will only play DVD-R ... weird) If I try to play a -R nothing happens. (Both work fine on my computer's drive however) So, it might be as simple as trying another type of disc. (my player is also partial to Memorex brand discs)

There are other posts on the Forum (which I do not remember the link to) that can tell you all about the different types of discs (which is what solved my problem :)

Hope this helps

Aithin