1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.AVI to DVD quality improvement?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by ChiknLitl, Jun 6, 2006.

1. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Here's something I have wondered about for sometime: when taking a standard quality .AVI file, say 700MB (approx 125kb/s), and running it through vision 4 to convert to DVD, can you really improve the quality of the source material to up to 8000kb/s? Or are you just taking the compressed material and making it crisper? I mean, you can't put pixels/frames or whatever, back in, you're not "decompressing" right?. I ask this because I decided I didn't notice much improvement and have started burning two movies of the same genre to the same disc at lower quality settings.

2. Saltgrass

Saltgrass Regular member

Well, since no one else has responded, I will offer my uneducated guess. I don't think you can improve the quality, but maybe the higher bit rates will allow you to keep more of what you already have.

3. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Open NeroVisionExpress, click on Video Default options and you get th[​IMG]

Select High Quality and High Quality 2 Pass and then OK..it will take longer to transcode, about 50% longer.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  4. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Right, a DVD has been compressed to .AVI format (a single disc, roughly 700MB, is approximately 125kb/s), now you reconvert it back to DVD files with Nero vision, up to 8000kb/s. However, my thinking is that something has been lost in the original compression. So, my question is: are you actually upconverting the .AVI file or just displaying all of the downconverted (125kb/s) signal's flaws in HD at 8000kb/s? Does it actually improve the quality of the original source material (.AVI file)?

5. SmoothD

SmoothD Member

I have a DVD player which can play AVI files. That being said, I converted a avi file to DVD and then played the DVD version and the AVI version. The quality was basically the same. Hope that can be of some help.