1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI to DVD Question

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by funkymixx, Jan 25, 2010.

1. funkymixx

funkymixx Member

Hello everyone
    I have several AVI files I am trying to burn to a DVD.
    Heres my issue, when I try to drag and drop or import the files
    into any of my many burning progams, the file size seems to increase dramatically. For instance, original AVI file is 78 meg, but when I import it into my burning program it seems like the file doubles in size because it says it has used like ~150 mg of disk space on the DVD. Does anyone know why that is. I would think that if I am importing an AVI that is 78meg, it would only take up 78meg on the disk or am I missing something?
    Please let me know, I really need some help on this one,
    Thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

Converting AVI to DVD (mpeg2)format files, the size will increase.
    A standard blank DVD has space for 4GB of files - a nominal two hours running time for DVD format files.

3. funkymixx

funkymixx Member

Thanks for the reply
    I am wondering how these guys are getting 50 3min-4min videos on one DVD? Any ideas? Interesting because they are decent quality also.

4. attar

attar Senior member

I think you can have up to 99 Titles on a DVD - and the two hours is nominal - an authoring program will allow three hours total running time on a standard blank DVD before complaining:the quality depends on the conversion software.
    Generally, the size of the output is the product of the running time and the bitrate.
    The higher the bitrate the closer to the input quality, but the larger the output size.

Example, using FAVC to convert to DVD format, you can elect either of two encoders and both offer choices between speed and quality.

5. funkymixx

funkymixx Member

Thanks for the info....I will continue to ask around, but your comments have been helpful.
    I have had issues with open source burning apps and they dont have good selections for menus.
    I know someone can help me on this.
    I just want to be able to get at least 30-40 HD 3-4 min videos downloaded from youtube in FLV format onto a DVD that is playable on standard DVd systems.
    Thanks again.....let me know if you have any suggestions

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

There's no need to ask around attar has told you why it's happening,check the settings of your conversion software & reduce the final output size in other words you need more compression to fit more movies on the 1 disc.

*from attar's post*
    Generally, the size of the output is the product of the running time and the bitrate.
    The higher the bitrate the closer to the input quality, but the larger the output size.

link to some freebie stuff don't know if any of it can help tho,there should be info in the GUIDES tab at the top of afterdawn as well
    http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/forums/index.php

7. funkymixx

funkymixx Member

Thanks to all the responses. I will do my research and homework to determine the best bit rate settings for HD FLV files downloaded from youtube without losing much clarity. I am a newbie here and really appreciate it.

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

An easier option is leave them as is & place them on an external hdd that way your completely portable & perhaps use xbmc portable to play them assuming it works that way,the issue you have with any data is you need two copies,one for backup

9. funkymixx

funkymixx Member

Thanks for the suggestion
    Much appreciated

10. jony218

jony218 Guest

you need dvd authoring software to do what you want. (ulead/tmpgenc/womble mpeg dvd wizard). Those will handle avi.

Throwing a bunch of clips into a dvd convertor won't work most of the time, many times it might end up crashing.

Usually I use womble and load 10 or more clips and convert them to a large mp4 file. I then convert this mp4 file to a dvd. The reason I do it this way is because even womble will sometimes crash if I try to convert the clips to a dvd directly.

Don't worry about the bitrates etc. I never do. With womble I just increase the quality setting if the quality doesn't look good. But on my compilations that I make, if I use a dvd quality clip, it will look dvd quality on the finish video.

50 3 minute clips will easily fit on a dvd, you can actually fit alot more up to 4 hours. But it's best to first join(author) all the clips together into one file.