1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avi to DVD-Video Compliant using TMPGenc

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by vancity, Apr 28, 2005.

1. vancity

vancity Member

I've read and followed the guide to encoding an avi to a dvd-video file, however; when I was finished and went to use IFOedit to make sure it would play, etc, I don't have a .m2v file, TMPGenc just made me a regular run of the mill mpg file.

What exactly do I need to do for it to be a m2v file? Is this necessary? I was under the impression I just needed to convert the mpeg to a vob file now.

Any help is always appreciated

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Wrong. If you use the Wizard and choose DVD NTSC/PAL, TMPGenc will create, from your starting movie, a M2V video file and a WAV (i.e. output = choosen_filename[.M2V+.WAV]).
    Later you'll have to 'author' the video with the sound, and this is another issue, that TMPGenc isn't able to do. That 'authoring' thing will create the VOBs.
    Encoding the starting movie is needed if you sart with an AVI movie or only if you want to encode the starting mpeg a 'real' VOB DVD MPEG-2 movie, and this is useful only when you start from a VERY GOOD AVI movie. Otherwise, when you start from low/medium quality AVI or directly from mpeg-1(VCD)/mpeg-2(SVCD) movies, you can author multiple (S)VCD movies into a DVD using DVD Lab. Creating a 720x480/576 movie starting from a 352x240/288 movie or from a low-quality AVI (high 'resolution' but bad quality, because a very little bitrate was used - AVI very small - and AVI is a lossy format [it suffered a quality loss needed to be able to keep the bitrate low]) is a waste of time.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  3. vancity

vancity Member

Alright then. Thank you for your help. I did get it to work finally, but i'm way too impatient with my slower computer to do it for any more of my hundreds of avis.

I think I'm just going to get myself a DivX/Dvd Player. Once I hear of one with less glitches or defects. I've heard of the Phillips Model(s) being fidgity at times with Xvid files, and the RJtech 1500 that my friend has plays avi's pretty well, but can't play dvds themselves very well.

Take it easy