1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi to dvdr (the best way) ?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by skutz, Oct 6, 2004.

1. skutz

skutz Guest

hi

i have been in all different forums and checked different guides but still dont really know what is gd or what is the best can some 1 help me with what is the best software i.e (best qualiity and how long it takes) to convert a avi or xvid to dvd

basically i download avi or xvid movies i want to convert them to dvd and burn them to dvd+R disc so i can watch them on a dvd player

i want to know what is the best software to do all of dis and want to no how quick it can convert in

i have converted with all different kinds of software and burnt with quite alot 2 but they all ways take forever to convert and then burn and it slows the whole of my computer down and i have a gd spec computer it is jus so annoying.

if sum 1 could help me it would be much appreciated

2. skutz

skutz Guest

can someone help me ???????

3. jakman85

jakman85 Member

OK - here is a way that i have done it, i cant promise you that it is the "best way" but oh well.

First, i used a program called TMPGEnc. Converted the video into an Mpeg2 with Mpeg2 audio (saves space). Then i use a program called DVD-lab. Import the mpeg2 file into it. Make a menu (nothing flashy or anything, just something fast). Then i "burn" it to the hard-drive (really, im just making an image file *iso*).

Ok, now i have my disc image, i check to make sure it will fit on one disc (most of the time, this is a "no" since there has been no compression for the video). If it is at or below the 4.3gb limit, i just burn it with Easy CD Creator. If it is above 4.3 gb, i then use a program called Daemon Tools to mount the image to a virtual drive. I then use CloneDVD2 to copy the virtual disk to an actual disk (CloneDVD2 will automatically compress the movie to fit on the disk).

Well, that is how I have done it. Kind of complicated, but it worked.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  4. agreived

agreived Member

Well SKUTZ,
    The best dvd cconvertor by far is DVD SANTA.It converts divx or xvid files to DVD's and burns them to a disc in real time....the quickest program i have come across and i've tried loads.Quality is as the AVI file you convert.Try it you won't be disappointed.

5. skutz

skutz Guest

cheerz you lot you have been a great help

6. brettski

brettski Member

I would suggest that you get yourself a DVD player that can play mpeg4/DivX/XviD (I just finally broke down and purchased a Philips for less than $100.00 Canadian). Then you can burn numerous .avi/mpeg4 onto one DVD (depending on the size of your .avi files). This has saved me hours of TMPGEnc encoding to skvcd that I used to do, plus with many .avi files the quality is near dvd, plus no aspect problems, etc.The only problem I have noticed with that the Philips player doesn't like XviD with qpel - then I just convert it to DivX using 'virtualdub'. You can check the file for qpel using 'avicheck'.

7. sandora

sandora Member

I have to agree with the other gentleman, dvdsanta is the easiest program to use. it converts divx or xvid into dvd format directly in one step. an idiot could use this software

8. Cobra95

Cobra95 Member

Well, I must be a sub-moron then. Because every time I try an XviD AVI with DVD Santa, the app summarily GPF's. Any ideas? I have the latest Koepi stable build of XviD.

DVD Santa does seem to work fine with DivX AVI's and with MPEG files.

Edit: Here are tha vital stats on one offending AVI:

The version of DVD Santa is 3.44.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  9. regor

regor Regular member

Hi Skutz - Not sure if I'd say DvdSanta is the 'best' program on the market but it is 'a' worthy program on the market if you are looking for a simple, one/two step process. I'd suggest looking at Tmpgenc before you make a purchase - it's not free but they do give you trialware - check out TmpgencPlus as well as Express depending on the level of interaction you wish (express obviously more programmatic), then check out Tmpgenc DVD Author to create the end-state DVD. Extremely good on menu/chaptering.

Hope this info is useful.

R

10. CJC

CJC Regular member

11. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You can also try DivX to DVD software by VSO which currently is free to use. I think it will work with Xvid - it certainly works well with other file types including avi. Very good results though it takes about 45 mins to convert a full movie. Get it from here (scroll down the page for the free version):-
    http://www.vso-software.fr/

12. andmerr

andmerr Guest

dvdsanta is quite a good program as it converts mpeg4 back to mpeg 2 among other things but not all files fall into this category.An alternative is cucusofts avi2mpeg which will do a non true form of pal/ntsc but the results are very good.Once your files are converted i usually use tmpgenc dvd author to add menus and edit the file before i complete the project by burning with nero

13. Cobra95

Cobra95 Member

I found my problem. This version of DVD Santa doesn't get along with the XviD build I'm using on my faster PC. I had no problems on the 2nd computer, so I made sure the software versions were the same across the board. No more issues. Thanks to all who replied.

That guide on the site is exactly the kind of procedure I've been trying to get away from. :D I just wanted a quick way to go from AVI to DVD, so I can watch the videos on my TV instead of PC screen. It makes no sense to put all that effort into the conversion, although in the past it was the only choice. It seems that finally the automation of all the steps is maturing, and I couldn't be more pleased, even if the quality is a notch or two below ultimate.

14. elipinski

elipinski Member

Cobra95 - Could you tell me what version of DVDSanta is working good for you? I'm having a problem trying to convert a .avi file that is AC3 with 5.1 channel. I get a message from DVDsanta "unsupported video stream"

Any suggestions?

15. agreived

agreived Member

Elipinski ..i suggest getting a new codec pack.I have DVD SANTA ver 3.41 and i have found that the codec packs on the cucusoft.com site work great.

16. elipinski

elipinski Member

agreived - can you suggest a codec pack for me and should I uninstall the codec that I already have installed first?

17. elipinski

elipinski Member

I just checked my version of DVDsanta it's 3.43. Is that version OK?

18. agreived

agreived Member

go to www.cucusoft .com and download the codec packs from there.I suggest the "kazza codec package" and the "XVID" pack.Youll find them on the right hand side of the home page.Un-install your codecs first and away you go.

19. elipinski

elipinski Member

Well I just loaded all the codec and I am still getting the same message from DVDsanta - Unsupported Videa Stream. Any other suggestions.

20. andmerr

andmerr Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2004