1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI to MPEG conversion problems

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by FX34, Jan 15, 2002.

1. FX34

FX34 Member

I have had no luck converting my AVI into MPEG, I just dl TMPGE and when I try to convert I get the message that I am using an unspecified or unsupported file format. I tried Xing MPEG encoder and I get 12 seconds of video and no audio, I tried av12vcd and get message that my files use compressed audio. I have got tons of avi that I can't on to a video CD. What to do?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Yeah, your AVI has most likely compressed audio track in it -- very likely in MP3 format. Use VirtualDub, open the AVI, go to Audio menu and select Full processing mode and then go to File menu and select Save WAV. Then use the AVI file for your video and WAV you just created for your audio.

And another thing -- it's very likely that your videos are in DivX3 format and you have DivX4 installed on your computer. Do this little trick:

-uninstall DivX4
    -install DivX 3.11 alpha
    -install DivX 4.12 and when it asks "do you want to use DivX4 to play DivX3 files", answer "NO"

...your problems should be solved.

3. waveform

waveform Member

dDr:
    I have a similar problem, as the one mentioned at the start of this thread. There is normal video, and some sort of commentry in the background. Whenever I split the avi I just get the basic audio, not the background commentry.
    I tried exactly what you proposed as the solution, but that not work too. I mean, i generated the wav file but did not get the required results.

also - the background commentry can be heard only when I play the avi using Win Media player, and not when I use Playa. Why is this?

How can split the avi so that the background commentry too appears it?

FX34 : did it work out for you?