1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI to MPEG using TMPGEnc

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Steiny98, Feb 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steiny98

Steiny98 Guest

I am using TMPGEnc to convert some downloaded AVI files to MPEG in order to burn some VCDs. THis program encoded each half of the movie in about 1 hour, and the MPEG plays well on my computer, but after it was burned using the VCD program, the file plays very slow (basically frame by frame) and jumpy on my DVD player. When I used another program "AVI2MPG" to make the file change, it took nearly 10 hours, but created a file that was successfully burned. Can I change a setting to fix this on the TMPGEnc program?

2. Ace28UK

Ace28UK Guest

Hey, my problem is worse! I encode Avi to MPEG, but it takes on average over 8 hours & I get no sound. Plus the file size increases from say 710mb to nearly 3gig. Any ideas??

3. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Ace28UK: MPEG-1? VideoCD has a constant, standard bitrate of 1150kbps which means exactly 74minutes of video/one 650MB CD.

4. Ace28UK

Ace28UK Guest

Yes MPEG-1. I realise that, but the target file is saved to the hardisk, and the mpeg is over 3gig after it has been encoded. Also, theres no sound! I realise that once the Avi file has been encoded to mpeg-1 the file will be bigger. It seems to me that when it is encoding & i choose the appropriate selections i.e. (Pal, 352x288, 25fps) it could be that it first copies the video, then the Audio, but it doesn't combine them, hence the 3gig MPEG-1 file. Any suggestions?? Is there a definative guide to using this software?

5. dRD

How long your video is, in minutes? And what audio it has, AC3?

6. Ace28UK

Ace28UK Guest

Hi, the avi film lasts 1 hour & 35mins. The audio format is MPEG Layer-3 & its sampling rate is 48.00khz.

7. dRD

And what exact settings did you use when you encoded the video with TMPGEnc? What template, etc?

8. Ace28UK

Ace28UK Guest

It's ok dRD. I realised that i needed to decompress the audio on the file first. So i used 'Avi2Vcd' to decompress the audio, & then used TEMPGenc to encode the new avi file. And the time taken to convert the avi file to MPEG was under 3 hours, which i think is pretty good.
    Thanks for your help.

9. dRD

Ah, good that you managed to solve it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.