1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI to MPEG

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by MooRg, May 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MooRg

MooRg Guest

I would like to be able to convert an AVI file to MPEG (with sound). I think I need to do this to create a VCD. I tried this with Nero 5.5 it took about 12 hours to convert and create a VCD from a 450MB AVI file. The video looks great, but there is no sound. I've done the same thing with Nero and an MPG file and both video and sound end up on the VCD.

Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

MooRG

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I would suggest that you try TMPGEnc -- it's an excellent _FREE_ MPEG 1/2 encoder. Encoding MJPEG/AVI video of 5 minutes takes with my P2/350 appx. 40min.

You should use VideoCD templates (=settings for TMPGEnc) when encoding the file, if you want to burn it to the CD and watch it with your DVD player.

You can download latest TMPGEnc from here:

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/specific.cfm?id=319

3. MooRg

MooRg Guest

thanx - it worked a treat :)

MooRg

4. KBS

KBS Guest

Which VCD format do you choos ?
    1.VideoCD (NTSC)
    2.VideoCD (NTSCFilm)
    3.VideoCD (PAL)

5. dRD

KBS, depends on your source material -- if your source is Region1 / American DVD title, choose NTSC, if your source is Region2/European or Region4/Australian, choose PAL. Forget the NTSCFilm, it's for advanced use and requires tweaking.

6. catcherz

catcherz Member

Hi - just hope someone can help. Have downloaded various movies via Morpheus but they come in two parts. Have tried to use TMP to join these but the movies come in as avis and TMP wont recognise them. How do I cut and join the various parts to make a single movie - and then how do I convert to mpeg so I can burn video-cds - will Nero just do it anyway like it will convert mp3 to audio cd format ? ANy help appreciated.

Mike aka catcherz

7. dRD

Use VirtualDub in order to join AVIs (they're very likely in DivX format -- AVI is not an actual video compression format) and then re-encode them into MPEG-1 by using TMPGEnc and then burn with Nero (Nero _can_ encode the video for you, but using TMPGEnc produces better quality, although re-encoding DivX movies to MPEG-1 normally produces pretty horrible results (vice versa as well)).

8. catcherz

catcherz Member

Thanks Drd - I know I can get Virtual dub so will give it a go. Appreciate your comments about Divx - I know guys are ripping out DVDS to make those movie segments but all I can see is the AVI extension on Morpheus. The movies look great on my PC in the Morpheus theater but I do want to create video cds to run on DVD players. Guess I have a lot to learn but I wont give up - thanks again

catcherz

9. dRD

Np. And as you probably know already, all the software stuff like VDub can be found from our software section, our article section has some guides/links to guides about VCD, DivX, etc..

And just for basic "wtf that means?" questions, check this one:

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/

10. ilsoy

ilsoy Guest

Tried to create a VCD by encoding an avi file into mpeg (NTSC) using Tmpgenc. After burning the mpeg file onto a disc, I tried to play it in an APEX-600A DVD/VCD/CD player (this player can play both PAL and NTSC formats). The audio was fine but there is no video. What am I missing?

11. dRD

I have the exact same player at home -- it has problems in two cases, both related to CD writing, not the actual MPEG-1 file:

1) Finalize/close your discs, always.

2) Don't use higher than 4x burning, only 50% of VCDs that I have burned with 8x or 12x work correctly with Apex. I would recommend to use good ol' 2x for this purpose -- the original drive (I broke mine 4 weeks ago and changed it to 16x DVD, so now I don't have this issue any more :) has problems with CDs burned faster than that. Drive also has _major_ problems recognizing CD-RW discs, so use regular CD-Rs instead. (and I __don't__ recommend changing the DVD drive, at least not to Pioneer, the BIOS has problems recognizing DVDs with Pioneer..)

12. catcherz

catcherz Member

Hi again

Still TRYING to get my first VCD ! Have downloaded various movies from Morpheus - they come down as avi but file properties tell me they are in fact MPEG4. Have tried at least 4 items of software - TMP.Virtual dub, avi2cd, bbmg etc and still cannot convert those damn files to MPEG1 so I can burn my first VCD. I suspect that what I have is ripped out DVD video in a very compressed format and that first I should try to decompress the files. Have tried to do this with avi2cd but it wants me to download the latest DirectX - done this and still no joy. Couldnt even get going with Virtual dub. Help would be sincerely appreciated before I go out and buy the darn DVDs myself !!

Is my system up to the job ? AMD K6500mhz with 64mb of RAM

Catcherz

13. dRD

Catcherz: Ok, first read through this one:

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/

..AVI is not a video format. If properties say MPEG-4, it basically means that video is in DivX or in WMV8 format. And you can encode these videos into VideoCD-compliant MPEG-1 files with TMPGEnc, but you need to have correct CODEC installed on your computer so that your tools can actually read those AVI files.

14. catcherz

catcherz Member

Thanx dRD - GOT TMPG WORKING. I had not been setting up the PAL template. Saw you mention somewhere about the loss of quality when re-encoding ripped out avi files. Is there a BETTER way of downloading movies. Whenever I look movies are nearly all in avi although sometimes I see mpg/mpegs. Any recommendations here - I presume its best to download one complete file rather than 2 or 3 segments but again the option to do this is not always there
    catcherz

15. dRD

alt.binaries.vcd
    alt.binaries.svcd

16. barbs23

barbs23 Member

Hi, I am trying to use TMPGEnc to convert avi files to mpg vcd's that i get off of morpheous. When i open the file to start converting it, i get a black screen. I should be getting the actual video, but that ain't happening. I tried to decompress the audio first with avi2mpg decompressor, and still no luck, do i need to download a new codec?

17. JamminDJ

JamminDJ Guest

I've had the same problems when i downloaded the codec from divx.com. It SAYS it plays the 3xx codecs, but they could give a rats butt about encoding. What you'll have to do is pretty easy, what you do, is go to http://www.divxcrawler.com and go to software from there. Then download the actual 3.11 codec. When you install it, it will ask if you would like to replace the codec... don't worry, it's only the 3.11 codec, even though it says that the one you have is older, replace the S.O.B. ... Get it out of your life, its a useless piece of junk. You should be able to encode now. It fixed my problem, now tmpgenc won't even use my divx files off of kazaa, because kazaa doesnt download them right. It will encode to about 30% and say "Illegal audio stream". With a cable modem that shouldnt happen, but im on a 56k, and out where i live, i dont even have cable tv. If anyone can help with that problem, it would help a lot. and yer welcome for the advice.

18. divx_dude

divx_dude Member

I am trying to convert divx avi files to svcd using tmpgenc but I get an error when I specify the divx file for audio, it says it is an invalid format. I have gone to options/enviromental setting/VFAPI plugin and moved the priority of Directshow Multimedia File Recorder from -1 to 1, which was reccomended by some people, but that doesnt work either. I am doing this on Win 2k with SP1. I have tried with both the divx 3.11 and 4.0 codec with no luck.

Any ideas?

Divx_dude

19. dRD

divx_dude: TMPGEnc doesn't allow other than uncompressed audio tracks -- your DivX has very likely its audio in either WMA or in MP3 format -- or even in AC3. You need to extract the audio to WAV using VirtualDub and use that audio as your audio input file for TMPGEnc.

20. divx_dude

divx_dude Member

Thanks, do have a link on a turorial on how to do this?

divx_dude

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.