1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi to mpeg

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by suzyquzy, Aug 12, 2002.

1. suzyquzy

suzyquzy Member

I am having severe problems (other then that I am a no brainer when it comes to things relating to technology) i d/loaded the most recommeded program (tmpgenc)to convert my avi to mpeg but it wont recognise the video only the audio part and it did that fine ??? I dloaded the movie from Kazaa and i have no idea what could be wrong please help me and explain it like you would to a 3 year old lol I want to burn it onto cd using nero when it is done any suggestions greatly appreciated

2. whitet7

whitet7 Guest

I am having the same problem. I used to be able to convert the AVI to MPEG, but for some reason now the video will not show. Audio is fine though.....

3. Helvis

Helvis Guest

I'm not sure but I think you may be missing the codec to decompress the video part.

4. whitet7

whitet7 Guest

It can't be, as I used to be able to open the AVI's with TMPGEnc and convert them to MPEG. Also, I can play them in Media Player fine while they are AVI's, but as soon as I try to open them in TMPGEnc that's when the video will not show up. It may be a plug-in conflict. I have checked the environment setting and made sure that the priorities are all 0. I don't know what else to try?? Any suggestions????

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2002
  5. suzyquzy

suzyquzy Member

where do I get the codec decompressor from ????
    so I do this first and then convert it to mpeg ??
    thanks

6. Sazaziel

Sazaziel Member

This is a typical problem with many AVI video streams, but I can offer you a simple solution. Many Avi's are composed of many differrent audio and video codecs and some of those codecs don't even come standard on PC programs or even demo downloads. The reason why you have no video is because there is a video codec missing in order to play the video file. There is a program that you can download on Kazaa called ACEMCP! This program has every codec known to the world of PC audio and video. I assure you that once it is installed it will have the codec for 99% of your AVI video and audio files. The best thing is that you dont even have to edit nor alter the AVI files in any way. There is one downfall to this program though. When you go to burn any MPEG files the divxG400 codec tends to get in the way and it will not allow you to burn VCDs. The solution for this is simple. Just go to the Control Panel and uninstall the program from Add & Remove programs option. This program can be reinstalled at anytime for future use. For a simple reinstall just go to Start Menu, Programs, Ace Mega Codecs Pack, and Reinstall the Ace Mega Codecs Pack!

Let me know how it turns out and good luck!

7. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

First of all I wouldnt download all those codecs. second I would make sure I had divx codecs 3.11 ,4,and 5.02 installed on your pc. that has always done the trick for me....I have converted my fair share of movies.....also you might want to try the newest Tmpgenc.

8. Sazaziel

Sazaziel Member

Regardless of whether they would be divx codecs or not I have had Avi files and have also converted Avi files without the Divx format. Even with the Divx codec some Avi files cannot be viewed and some audio files cant be heard or decompressed without certain codecs. It doesn't matter whether If you refer to downloading Divx codecs..it's a proven fact that NOT ALL people use Divx codecs to view or listen to AVI files. THis codecs package is yet overall the ultimate Divx package and it can be downloaded at www.divx-digest.com/software/acemega_codec.html ! So before anyone thinks that I don't know what Im talking about...do the math, check out the site and check your shit. It's all there in this codec package in which it can also be downloaded on Kazaa as well!

9. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

YES sasaziel not everyone uses divx codecs there are also some patches you may need from TMD,SMR....and nobody said you didnt know what you were saying ..and as for my stuff my movies come out fine and I have converted thousands of avi's .......its just that these newbies need to start somewhere and for your info this is a forum not a competition .....there are also generic divx ripoffs like angelpotion ...you can use angelpotion instead of divx but it is still not as good as using divx.....

10. Yubba

Yubba Member

O.K. downloaded the codecs, installed it and now I have The Playa and DivX Player Alpha.

Still...TMPG only converts the audio. How do I tell TMPG that I have the codecs? Do I have to move files to a certain directory?

11. jenoveezy

jenoveezy Member

yo I'm in the same boat as you. I'm going to download acemcp from Kazaa to help. but question, I know how to see which codec i have in wind 98 in the contrl pnl, but to add the codec softwre, do I use install hardwre or program? further, how do I tell win media plyr, "hey I got your f*cken div3 codec right here, now go there and use it", simply putting it?!?!

12. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

when you execute divx3 it should pop up and install if it doesnt find where the divx files have been extracted too and click on the exe that say regesiter divx...

13. Yubba

Yubba Member

mmmmmm........I've read the sentence 16 times and tried some stuff on my PC, but......you guessed it....no cigar

14. jenoveezy

jenoveezy Member

yeah, without puncuation you could interprate that in a number of ways. I wasn't able to dwnld ACEMCP frm Kazaa, any suggestions? Wait, Isn't or shouldn't there be like a "compression for dummies" software like roxio is for cd burning, where it reads the format of the source data, whether it be avi,mpg,mpeg,dog,cat and
    div;:(compression) of both the audio and video. Then just type the format you want,or just maybe as simple as-"data" or "to play in DVD player". pop in disc and 20 min later BAM!!. Or am I going to have to call Bill Gates again? Until then, Yubba, please reiterate on that note. Thanks for bearing w/ us.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2002
  15. Helvis

Helvis Guest

I think what he means is that after you run the divx 3.11 program, it opens a window with a few things in it. One of those things is labeled "run me first" or something like that. You must run that one for it to finish the installation. I don't know why the first one just decompresses those files and doesn't automatically run the one. I guess they didn't know how to do that when it was created.

16. Sazaziel

Sazaziel Member

You can download Ace mega codecs pack "also known as the ultimate divx codec" from this website. http://www.freeweb.hu/galgonet/ This is a foriegn website but you will find the download source and mirrors when you scroll to the bottom of the page. Also when trying to encode avi's to mpeg format try not to only use TMPGenc. Xing mpeg encoder is also a good one to use. It also uses less time depending on your processor. The demo version sucks and it cost about $300 to buy but you can d/l it free on kazaa. You can also try a program called avi to vcd to encode as well. Also kazaa has many encoders to d/l if you search software with the word "encoder" or "mpeg encoder"! You can even type up "codecs in the search and you will find many codecs and many codec bundles. You will get alot of cool stuff for free that usually costs a bundle. P2P programs arent anything anyone should be afraid of. There are many things on these p2p sites if you search around. As far as things codec wise Ace mega codecs pack has every divx codec I can even think of plus more. The only ones Id say it doesnt have are the TMD, SMR patch, and Angel potion codecs etc. Don't get me wrong but try to experiment until you get something that works for you. This is how I got through for all my avi's into mpegs and vcd's.

17. jenoveezy

jenoveezy Member

You, yooouuu, your good.
    You people are some amazin people.
    Codecs are a beautiful thing. Downloaded this divX 5.2 updated pro-master w/ THE KICKSTAND.(its that good), from this site under...www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/videos and codecs,(for FUTURE beginners). Didn't even install the divX player just the codec by clckng it. Opened up the file wind med plyr...and it played. Opened up the file in VirtualDub...and yeah, it played. thats it, I'm going to drop out of Rutgers, download/burn dvds, and get advise here all day long...maybe not. Thanks ;-)

18. thedumass

thedumass Guest

i swear to god i was ready to jam a freaking screwdriver all up in my processor wrench it around, stab it a couple more times pick up the pc throw it on the ground and piss on it....that is untill i came here and gazed upon the wonderfull soothing words of Sazaziel and the ACEMCP thanks i dont know how many countless hours i have spent in front of this computer trying to get the movies ive downloaded to play.... thanks again

19. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

20. demarc

demarc Guest

nero convets avi to mpeg itself you don't neeed any external software to convert.