1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi to mpeg

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by suzyquzy, Aug 12, 2002.

1. tallerin

tallerin Guest

An easy solution for this is on tmpgenc click options goto enviromental settings then click on VFAPI plugin and then find Directshow multimedia file reader right click on it and click on higher priority till the number showing is 1 or 2 and then hit ok click browse click the avi you want and hit open walla it should now be ready for you to go to the next step.

2. vitopl1

vitopl1 Member

What version of nero converts avi to mpeg?

3. vitopl1

vitopl1 Member

this is what I found about converting divx avis to mpeg, correct if this is a wrong info:
    The latest versions of the DIVX codec do not function correctly with avi2vcd (or any other purely DirectShow program). The symptom of this bug is that the mpeg created by avi2vcd appears as a series of still frames every few seconds. Divx is aware of problem and expects a fix in the next release of the divx codec. As of this writing, the current version of Divx is 5.02. If the Divx avi is less than 1 or 2 GB in size (depending on your OS version and file system on your hard-drive) avi2vcd will use the VFW API instead of DirectShow, and the file should encode correctly. When the Divx bug is fixed, Avi2vcd will encode divx avi's. For further information on this issue check out the Divx Forums, particularily:

link: http://www.mnsi.net/~jschlic1/
    QUESTION: Every time I ripped a DVD and I create avi file using DIVX 5.0 or 4.xx, after 10 minutes of playing the newly created avi file, audio is not synch with video. How can I fix this?

4. Sazaziel

Sazaziel Member

Welcome 2 DVD ripping and converting 101. OK first of all you have to have a great program for dvd to mpeg conversion after ripping a dvd. In a program called dvd copy plus it uses the program called DVDx 2.0 . It is the best DVD2MPEG2VCD program I have ever used. If you use this program you will also learn that TMPGenc will be of some assistance for merging and cutting. As for AVI2VCD My advice is to many of its users is to get rid of it unless it is really needed. I only use AVI2VCD as a last resort to create MPEG files. Unfortunately I've never had a last resort. You'll find it alot better to encode into MPEG by using TMPGenc if your PC has all the right codecs needed for encoding. The fastest encoder out there is the Xing Mpeg encoder but, theres a catch. Even though Xing Mpeg can encode within 1/2 an hr. to an hr. its format is not accepted by many programs to create VCDs with. So sometime its not good to try to get cute with the programs. Its all basics in the working. Experimenting is a plus. As for out of sync dvd rips, DVDx 2.0 will keep everything in sync and the quality is great. I just wouldn't recommend DVDx for foriegn DVD ripped files. I have'nt figured out the glitch in the program that causes the sound to skip but, I'll update it as soon as I can. Good luck everyone. And for all of your codec needs dont forget to check out http://www.divx-digest.com/ as well as for studying your AVI or DV projects as well.

5. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

Hey Sazazeil thanks for the post. but you should have started a new thread. so next time start a new thread and let old threads close.....

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2002
  6. Sazaziel

Sazaziel Member

All versions of NERO 5 will convert AVI to VCD. It takes a while to encode but, it does carry some potential. You will also have to download some of the updates for encoding in nero 5.xxx from www.ahead.com . Currently I use nero ver. 5.8 and 5.9 .

7. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

Hey Sazazeil thanks for the post. but you should have started a new thread. so next time start a new thread and let old threads close..... otay?

8. vitopl1

vitopl1 Member

Thank you so much Sazaziel!!

9. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

sounds like Sazaziel has done this before..
    ;-)

10. uktub

uktub Guest

i have nero 5. is this program all i need to convert AVI to VCD. some of the AVI are larger then my disk.how can i copy one AVI to two disks and convert them to VCD's

ps message to Sazaziel thanks for all your help it has been most helpful

11. Sazaziel

Sazaziel Member

Ok it sounds as if you have AVI files that are full version movies and when you convert them with Nero the file is just to large for the CD-R to handle that capacity. I hope that I am correctly diagnosing the problem. Here's what you can do. Since nero will internally create the AVI into MPEG it never leaves the actual MPEG file saved to your hard drive. Try to convert the AVI with TMPGenc. I know that when some people use TMPGenc they get a message that says cannot produce stream..even when the codec is installed on the PC but sometimes it is just a program glitch, so try to encode the AVI again by clicking the start button if you recieve that message on TMPGenc. After you have encoded you full version AVI into MPEG you want to go to the TMPGenc. file, and choose MPEG tools. Choose option "Merge and Cut". Choose Type, "MPEG-1 Video CD". Click Add and add the directory of your encoded or MPEG version of the AVI. After you have added the file onto the screen click edit. you will be directed to an editing screen. Move your cursor to the half way point of the movie and write down or remember the counter number of the half way point. There are 2 cut buttons here is how they look. { <--- this will cut the movie from the half way point to the end of the movie. } <--- this will cut the movie from the beginning to the middle of the movie. When you cut the movie the indicator will show where you have cut the movie in half at. Click OK. and then click Run at the bottom of the screen. Follow this same process for creating the second half of the movie as well. Just remember that you have to have the actual Parent MPEG(full ver.) that you encoded from avi to create both parts of the movie to cut.
    There is a more detailed source on how to merge and cut MPEG files either on this site or check out www.vcdhelp.com

12. spinn1

spinn1 Guest

Sazaziel, I to am haveing prob's with avi to mpeg. I went to Kazzaa, and no results found for
    ACEMCP. I searched in software? Is that correct?
    Thanks

13. Sazaziel

Sazaziel Member

I have a link posted in this forum somewhere if you need to download the codecs for ACEMCP or Ace Mega Codecs Pack. If you cant find it try this direct link to the site. http://www.freeweb.hu/galgonet/

14. otkidd

otkidd Guest

i down loaded sweet home alabama from kazaa it was in two parts and a avi file. i want to convert it so i could watch it on my dvd player (it is a sony 360)it is vcd capable with cdrw,s. i used nero to convert from a avi to mpeg so i could burn it as a vcd well it encoded it i guess atleast that was what it said it was doing. it took about 40 to 45 min to do part 1 of the download after it burned it i took it down stairs to my dvd and all that came up on the tv was nero burn and the title to the movie. what did i do wrong this was my 1st attemped to do this kind of thing. so i then down loaded honestech mpeg encoder 4.0demo and encoded it and burnt it on roxie cd 5 platium and it played for about a min.at the most. how do i know what setting to put in encoders pal or ntsc what speed to use on cdrw,s and so on and so on. what would be my best bet for software to down load to convert avi to mpeg vcd format. thank god i found this web site i feel i will be on here alot i am a dummy when it comes to this stuff i have been researching this stuff for about 2 to3 weeks and feel like i am learning then some thing like this happens and i feel like i am stupid. how do i get send private message to appear on left under my nick name

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2002
  15. shai

shai Guest

otkidd, that is just a demo download which just gives you 1 - 5 minutes of convertion to mpeg. I have tried that too. I am currently looking for a full version or a crack to it...

16. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

In TMPGEnc go OPTIONS/ENVIRONMENTAL SETTING, then VFAPI plug in tab. Make DirectShow Top priority that should let you open those pesky litle Kazaa .avi files in TMPGEnc. Now the onyl problem is the lossy VCD you will get out of this process ;-)

Oh and message to everyone who does not already know better : Do not use Nero for .avi to /mpg conversion, it could suck start a Harley Davidson.

Good luck :)

Paul.

17. Sazaziel

Sazaziel Member

Tip of the day for people who encode avi into mpeg. Always...always...always....check over your work before you call it a finished product. In the instance of creating a vcd, watch the entire vcd that you created on your pc first so you can study your mistakes. Do the same thing for the mpeg files that you encode from avi's as well. I also totally agree with "Loaded" on this one. Nero sucks! It has good creation potential but, it leaves no trace of a finished product on your pc so you can check it over. Here's another tip that has done some good for me as well. When you encode with TMPGenc. sometimes its best to never mess with the settings at all. Unless you want to change the settings of the motion precision search to normal or high quality but, that would sometimes be the only setting to change. "Loaded" is also giving you a good tip as well.

18. otkidd

otkidd Guest

what version of TMPGEnc do I want to get. Does it come with a walk threw guide on how to use and what web site has the best movie down loades. Is there better ones out there than kazaa for speed and clarity. my email address is otkidd13@aol.com

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2002
  19. otkidd

otkidd Guest

I am having a hell of a time I downloaded tmpgenc from kazaa I unzipped the file and clicked on the what I ttought to be the set up wizard and up popped this screen that asked me for a linc. # so i entered it it up came the start page to tmpgenc it didn,t load on to my computer no setup wizard or anything. so i tryed to click and drag a file in to the vidio source and it wouldn't let me so i hit the brouse button went to where i downloaded the movie to and clicked on the file I wanted to load and clicked open it seemed to load ok. so I went threw the set up and encoded it fine. burn it to a cdrw now i tried to burn it with nero and thought i did untill i went to play it on my dvd and all that came up on the tv screen was nero and the name of the movie thats it. so i burnt it again this time using roxie platinum and it worked just fine. what did i do wrong tring to burn it with roxie??? also i tried to encode another movie with tmpgnc did every thing i did before and the preview window is black nothing i have done seems to work i went to enviro setting and made my direct movie or what ever that is called(i am not at my computer right now i am at work)my #1 prioriy and uped the level to 2 and still no preview screen but it acts like it is encoding just no preview screen please help

20. bodie

bodie Guest

Sazaziel you are a genius.

Following your message 22 Aug 2002 DIVX codecs.

Download as instructed works a treat. Many thanks.