1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi to mpeg

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by scooby565, Dec 5, 2002.

1. scooby565

scooby565 Member

i have down loaded 2 movies and no matter what i do it seems the audio on one movie doesn;t play at all and the other plays way ahead..i use tmpeg and virtual dub

2. bang

bang Member

1) You don't have the right codecs on your computer (download Divx 5.0.2 as it can play most MPEG 4 movies) unfortunately you didn't mention what format the movie is in so i am guessing.
    2) The person who made the movies is an idiot therefore the video and audio is out of sync.
    3) Your computer isn't fast enough to play the movie (so then the movie should also run badly). For all MPEG 4, reduce the quality playback to as low as possible under properties in Windows Media Player.

Overall most likely is option one. Most downloadable movies are made with hacked codecs (and the worst of them also). Try to download movies made with Divx 3.11a or Divx 5.xx. Otherwise go to video shop and borrow movie for a couple of bucks. If you want a copy, then rip, edit and re-encode for yourself.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2002
  3. scooby565

scooby565 Member

i downloaded the movies and they said they were divx dvd avi. I dont have a dvd burner and i am trying to convert them to a vcd..they play great on my pc but when i try to convert them to a mpeg with tmpeg that s when all hell breaks loose

4. bang

bang Member

If you want help with your problem you will have to give details of what happens, what error messages occur, what you actually did, file info etc. "all hell breaks loose" is not very specific so I can't help you (Unless of course you mean literally hell breaks loose, then I recommend you become christian, pray a lot, do good deeds etc.)

5. toddster

toddster Member

i have the same problem try to convert avi to mpeg with TMPGEnc it will not convert the movie with audio,the movie is fine with good pic but no sound? and others i get sound with, on the same setting as if TMPGEnc cant find the audio on some AVI's

Last edited: Dec 9, 2002
  6. jinty

jinty Member

i have movies in my files they are avi and i downloaded avi2vcd but when i try to convert them it comes up that my files are commpressed how do i open them so i can convert them from avi to vcd

7. scooby565

scooby565 Member

I dont get error messages but for instance on the movie green mile, If i play in on my PC the audio and video are in sync, but if i try to convert it to a mpeg to turn into a vcd the audio starts ahead of the movie about 5 seconds.
    So hell isnt really breaking out. Giving me hell..tying up the phone line for no useful purpose

8. bang

bang Member

In the main window of TMPGEnc there are 5 stream types to choose from. Make sure you have choosen System (Audio + Video) and make sure you specify an audio source (also play through that source to see if there is audio). The other things to check are the audio streams volume, and the volume settings in windows (a number of times, putting the audio down in windvd 2000 has also caused the system audio to go down). If audio stream has very soft sound, than use the audio edit options in TMPGEnc to increase the volume. Let me know of results.

For audio out of sync:
    When ripping the movie off the DVD, one of the options in later versions of DVD Decrypter is for it to save a stream report log file. Make sure it does that. In that file it will tell you the delay on audio streams. Most have a delay of 0, but some weird ones have a very large delay (>120ms). With those movies you will have to set the delay in TMPGEnc's audio edit. If the delay is -XX (in the log file)than you set the delay to possitive XX in TMPGEnc. But if the delay is positive in the log file (YY) then set in audio settings the delay to negative YY (-YY).

9. §†§

§†§ Guest

hi i have a similar case to the first guy's own i download a movie from kazaa(Vampire Hunter D:BLOODLUST)which is 717MB and its in .AVI format, i tried to change it to mpg with TMPGenc but when it is changed to mpg it has no sound and the same goes for another movie i download ghost in the shell 500mb.It wouldnt change so i just burned them on to a CD-R using nero then i tried playing the movie and it worked now after a couple hours past i tried playing it again and the program i used to play it freezed up (GLOBAL DIVX PLAYER) then i tried playing another movie which i some how got to change to mpg using TMPGenc and it worked but those two AVIs wont what must i do????

10. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

use Virtual Dub to re-encode the audio before encoding in TMPGenc.

1) open the file in V-Dub
    2) click audio->full processing mode
    3) click audio->conversion->44,100hz high quality 16bit stereo
    4) click audio->compression->no compression <pcm>
    5) click video->direct stream copy (so that you don't re-encode the video)
    6) click file->save avi

you will now have an .avi file that you can use to re-encode (with sound) to VCD with TMPGenc.