1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi to mpeg2

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by brett004, Apr 5, 2004.

1. brett004

brett004 Guest

how do i use tmpgenc to transform avi movie files into mpeg2 files. can someone give me an easy to understand explanation?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Umm...Tmpgenc uses a Wizard Style Interface that is designed so even the Non-Video Savy should be able to figure out..The Wizard has 5 Steps and you Just Simply follow the Steps till the End...
    Step#1)You choose the Format you want to encode to..(Either VCD SVCD or DVD and in those setting you have to choose either NTSC or Pal depending on were you Live and what the Frame rate of AVI file you have, 23.976fps/24fps is NTSC film ,25fps is Pal and 29.976fps/30fps is NTSC)
    Step#2) You select your AVI file...
    Step #3-#4 & #5) You can skip through all of these Steps and when you get to step 5 you just click "OK" and it will start encodeing....Simple
    Now if you are Haveing a Particular Problem or do not understand something then Just tell us what the Problem is that you are Haveing and wee will try to help....
    Here are a Few Things you should know...
    #1)In most cases the audio in your AVI file will need to be Decompressed before Tmpgenc will encode the audio for you, If you PM me with your e-mail address I can send you a simple tool that will do this For you...
    #2) if you get an error that says something like "Can Not Open Or Unsupported" when you try to load your AVI file into Tmpgenc then you can usually fix this By closeing the Wizard and going to "options" to "Enviromental Settings" to "Vfapi Plugins" and Raiseing the Priority of the "Direct Show File Reader" to "2", Now the File should Load Properly...
    #3) You must allways encode your AVI to mpeg useing the Same Frame rate as the AVI file because Tmpgenc can ot do Proper Frame Rate Conversions, You can find out the Framerate of your AVI by Right clicking it and going to "properties" and it will tell you the Properties of your AVI file includeing the Frame Rate.
    If your Frame Rate is "23.976fps" you have to use the "NTSC Film" setting, if your Frame Rate is "25fps" you must use the "Pal" Seting and if your AVI is "29.976fps" you use the Plain NTSC setting...

Well I hope this helps....Cheers