1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi to svcd

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by mia2323, Aug 20, 2004.

1. mia2323

mia2323 Member

Everything I try doesn't work. I been doing so much reading and tryed so many softwares and nothing is working.

I tried this tutorial for tmpgenc http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/encode_videos_with_tmpgenc.cfm but when I click browse to find video file it says "can not open or unsupported"
    so then i went to http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/nero_videocd_guide.cfm and tried that. It encoded it for me and worked but when i woke up the next morning and tried again it keeps telling me it doesn't all fit on one cd-r. But it all fited on one cd-r before i went to bed.
    So very frustrated. Please someone tell me what to do.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

To get rid of that error in Tmpgenc just go to "options" to "Enviromental Settings" to "Vfapi Plugins" and Raise the "Direct Show File Reader" to "2"....You should also make sure the audio in your AVI file is Uncompressed because Tmpgenc doesn"t like Compressed audio....

Most all Movies will Have to go on 2 CD-R"s when in VCD or SVCD Format because a standard SVCD uses about 20mb per Minute of Video so that means you can only fit about 40 minutes of Video on a 700mb 80min CD-R and Most Movies are Over 80 minutes..(You can fit 800mb on a 700mb CD-r in VCD/SVCD Mode)

So if your movie is over 40-45 minutes then you are going to have to either cut your AVI In half and encode it as 2 Files ,One for each CD-R ,OR you can use Tmpgenc"s "Source Range" feature to Encode the Movie in 2 Parts and then Burn them to 2 CD-R"s...

You also might consider spending the $50 to $75 and get a DVD Burner so you don"t have to put a Movie on 2 CD-R"s and the Quality will be Much better than VCD quality...And Blank DVD"s are allmost as Cheap as CD-R"s these Days that it is even cheaper to use DVD"S as they hold 6 times the data....

Cheers
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  3. mia2323

mia2323 Member

ok i fixed why tmpgenc couldnt find my video file by going to "Options" to "Enviromental settings" to "Vfapi Plugins" and raising the Priority of the "Direct show File Reader" to "2".

But now what software should i use to put it on a cd?
    I have a .avi and i want it to work in my dvd. Whats the best way to do this without getting a bad picture?

sincerely,
    desperate

4. mia2323

mia2323 Member

Thank You for answering me. I see I posted the same time as you.

When I put the movie on cd does it go by size of the file or by how many minutes the movies is? Because I am using tmpgenc right now to change it from avi to mpeg and i noticed that the size of the movie has doubled and it only half way.

And should I split the movie while it is avi or mpeg?

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well It goes by the size of the Mpeg file which is generally 10mb per minute for VCD and 20mb per minute for SVCD...So a 40 minute SVCD File will be about 800MB and a 80 minute VCD file will be about 800mb which is the Max file size you can fit on a 700mb 80min CD-R....
    The Mpeg file will allmost allways Be Much bigger than the Source AVI file....

6. mia2323

mia2323 Member

Thank you that helped.

But now some of my movies the mouths dont match there talking. Is there a reason it is doing that?

Is there other programs to record a movie besides Nero?

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you are Just useing Nero to Burn the File with no encodeing then nero probably isn"t your Problem....

Have you been encodeing your AVI files to Mpeg useing the same Frame rate as your AVI...Because Most encoders Like Tmpgenc aren"t very good at Converting Framerates, so if your AVI file has a Framerate of 23.976fps you have to make a Mpeg file at 23.976fps and if you use the wrong Framerate you can get sync Problems....
    And allways decpmpress the audio in your AVI before encodeing cuz if you don"t that can contribute to sync problems...Cheers