1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.AVI to VOB

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Paracite, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I don"t know what could be wrong, Try a Different Mpeg encoder Cuz Tmpgenc is Buggy at the best of Times and it doesn"t handle Downloaded files very well because they usually have some sort of errors in them...Try the Mainconcept encoder it is 3 times as fast as Tmpgenc and It handles Errors better...Cheers

2. Paracite

Paracite Member

BAH!

Nothing works.. i just encoded the movie "Vanilla Sky" with TMPGEnc, and i encoded it according to the movies frame rate, which was 23.97 (or sumn) meaning it's NTSC. I loaded the template (NTSC) and started encoding.. but still i don't get any sound. What can i be doing wrong!?!?

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

Is this with the File that you used the "Decompress.exe" Program On??? What was the audio format of the Original AVI file??? Can you hear the audio in the Decompressed audio file on your PC??? Have you tried a different Mpeg encoder??? You also gotta realize that Downloaded Movies are the Hardest and worst ones to try to Make a (S)VCD/DVD out of because you Never know how the File was originally created, and Poeple Like to use Audio formats in there AVI files that are really not supposed to be used in AVI files Like VBR Audio ,Pluss when Files are downloaded there is a Great Chance of there being some corruption in the File which makes it even harder to Encode...well good luck

4. sheppy124

sheppy124 Regular member

hya mate was just looking on another site and had a link to this site with common problems, the mod dela here in june the most common problems with tmpgenc sorry dont know how to put a link
    . heres the bit about no sound you could try this.

7. No audio on output file.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is usually caused by the compression on the audio of the source file. If it is an AVI file it is very common. With an AVI file the easiest things to do here are set DirectShow Multimedia File Reader's priority to 2 or even better demcompress the audio!

To change the priority of DirectShow, this is dont simply by clicking option - environmental setting. Click the VFAPI plug-in tab. You will see DirectShow in the list usually with a priority of -1. Right click on the NAME (not the priority) and click higher priority until the priority is 2 and it is at the top of the list. To decompress the audio for better results, do the following with VirtualDUB...

1. Click Video - Direct Stream Copy.
    2. Click Audio - Full Processing Mode.
    3. Click Audio - Compression. Select <No compression (PCM)> and click ok!
    4. Click File - Save AVI and try it with TMPGEnc.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]a wise man one said...........[/small]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2004
  5. Paracite

Paracite Member

Ok, i've got a good beginning now.. i encoded the movie Bad Boys 2 (it was a 2 cd movie) with Canopus Pro.. and it Made 2 output files.. 1 M2V and 1 wav for each CD.
    Then i used DVD author to put them together, and creat the Audio_TS and Video_TS.
    The size of the movie is now 7.86GB.
    I used DVDshrink to make them smaller, but it's not enough, as it only shrunk it to 4,863MB and my DVD's r 4,700MB how do i get it down a lil more.. or does it work if i now burn it because Nero can extend the CD's capacity. wut can i do?

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well what you should have done was encode the Files useing the Correct Bitrate in the First Place Becayse Useing DVD shrink on it will Just Serve to Decrese the Overall Quality of the DVD...If I were you I would Start from Scratch and encode the Movie again But useing the Correct Bitrate, You can figure out the Bitrate you should use by useing a Bitrate Calculator...For a 2 Hour movie to fit on a DVD you need to use a Video Bitrate of about 4650kbs.....Cheers

7. Paracite

Paracite Member

errr. all over again eeyh!

oh well.. gotta do it then...
    Yeah, i realized the quality was not so good after shrinking it.. looked like everything that moved in the movie had a electrical ghost.. or sumn.

Anyway, u wouldn't happen to know a bitrate showing program? -thanx-

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

The One I use for DVD"s is called "PowerBit" if you do a Google Search you can find it but if you have problems message me with your e-mail address and I"ll send it to you...Cheers

9. Paracite

Paracite Member

Ok, d-loaded PowerBit v. 1.4..
    but i'm not really sure what to fill in.. i tried filling in the lenght of the movie and features, that's all.. dunno nothing bout the audio thing.

And y does it only show medai DVD-R 4,37GB.. howcome not 4,7gb which i have?

anyway, by doing this i got

Free Space For Movie 4464.9 MB
    used space by audio 0.0 MB
    Recommended bitrate for new movie 4175 kbps

is that about right or..?

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

With PowerBit you put in the Length in Minutes at the Top Left and in the Top Right you Put in the Number of audio Streams you Plan to use which is "1" and then choose the Bitrate you are going to use for that Audio ,The lowest setting there is 224kbs so if you are going to use a Lower Bitrate for the audio then use the 224kbs setting and you can add the Differance between the 224kbs and the Bitrate you are going to use to the Video Bitrate, After putting in the Length and the audio Info you click the Button at the Bottom and it will Give you the Bitrate you should use so it fits on a DVD-R...
    You standard DVD-R is Not 4.7gb ,They Might say that but it is Not true ,It is because they Calculate what 1GB is Differently, a DVD will Hold 4700mb but that is Not 4.7gb that is 4.38gb because 1gb is not 1000mb it is actually 1024mb ,Manufacturers do this False advertizeing all the Time so you think you are getting more than you are, They do it with Hard Drives also so if you Buy a 120gb Hard drive it isn"t really 120gb it is actually more like 114gb...well I hope this clears things up...Cheers

11. Paracite

Paracite Member

Yup. as clear as it can get! yeah, it's annoying that they say 120 GB when it's not.. oh well

Thanx for the help so far! i'll need more for sure when i get to other stages! =)

12. GodMinion

GodMinion Guest

Well, I'm new here but I have been reading the continuing threads in this forum. I have consulted the doom9 suggestions on .vob creations and .mpeg2 file extensions. I have listened to Paracite's problems. Now I have done it everyway that he/she/everyone has suggested. I have two suggestions that might help or might not. I know that it's PAL that you -->Paracite are trying to obtain, but maybe the approach that I have taken might help. Now I use Nero to burn my AVIs to DVD. I just adjust the title of the menu from cd to dvd. Now I don't know if there is a PAL/NTSC burning applicator within the latest Nero but nonetheless it works for me; just take the avi and let Nero encode it and burn. I have found that PS2 models that are v4 and up support almost anything burnt in SVCD, VCD, or MINIDVD format. I have had success many times and playback of both audio and video in the correct sync. Also I have a cheap 50$ DVD player and it plays them no sweat as well. Now I know that people might contest my approach with 'Nero sucks sh*t' or 'Video quality is crappy with Nero' etc., but as mentioned before the compression of avi is a hassle and a half and the most wise program to use is decompressor.exe. Now I will take the verbal beating of those more experienced then me :) but I just thought that I would post this for you guys

13. Minion

Minion Senior member

I"m sure it works for you accept that nero is the worst Quality encoder ever created and it does not do Proper NTSC/Pal conversions ,I"m surprised that you don"t notice the Slight Jumpy effect when converting NTSC/Pal But a Lot of Poeple don"t untill someone Points it out to them and they it is as annoying as hell...

14. GodMinion

GodMinion Guest

I beg to differ. I have converted AVIs to MPEG2 to VOB files and then dvd decryptor and I found the results to be second rate to the svcd encoding for Nero. Maybe you're mistaken but Nero has a pretty good encoding program and my files are not jumpy. Now I have direct dvd .vob files and I have svcd encoded avi files. The only difference is a slight bit of quality in audio and video, and I mean slight. Maybe you -->Minion have lower quality or highly compressed avi/vcd/svcd/mpeg1 files that just don't look nice with nero encoding who knows. But all in all, if one has to go to so much trouble just to break down an avi in to designated parts and files then one should just go buy the copy or grab the actual dvd on a newsgroup. That's my opinion though and I willing to back it up all the way. I have had no problems with video feedback or playback or whatever and have been using nero and dvd decryptor for a bit. I'm not going to pursue this anymore and you people should at least take some of my advice, it's better then the criticism that is placed by other people on good programs

15. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well You are Entitled to your uninformed Opinion But I would say That I am probably more Qualified in this area Than Most and you Probably have never Tried a Real High Quality encoder so you have nothing to Compare it to..But I reiderate that in the Profecinal Digital Video Community the Nero Encoder is a Long running Joke, but if you are Happy with the Results you get then More Power too You, but it still doesn"t make it true...Because the Nero encoder Doesn"t do any Pre analisis of the File it is encodeing and has no configuration settings to speak of so you can not Change the Scanning Pattern or the DC Component Precition or the Encodeing mode or Field order or Picture Type or any of the other settings that Must to be adjusted according to the Properties of the Source file..So it uses the Same Settings in this regard with every File no matter it"s Properties which in it"s self makes it mickey mouse application..But if you know better Please enlighten me....Cheers

16. drchips

drchips Active member

Hahaha,

That should get the Nero "zealots" out in force... ;)

Shame I can't sell tickets ;)

Byeee...

17. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

CCE SP is one of the best encoders to use [full stop].

18. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

*EDIT* Disrespectful post. My sincere apologies to all.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    Bald is Beautiful[/small]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2004
  19. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

LOL Nero Encoder.

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member