1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.avi using Nero

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by aw56001, Aug 16, 2006.

1. aw56001

aw56001 Member

Hello
    I have Nero 6.6.1.8 and also NeroVision Express 3 and was hoping to use this to burn six .avi's direct to DVD-R. First time the program transcoded three of the .avi's before locking up on the fourth. I then tried with three avi's and it transcoded the first .avi but locked up on the second. Nothing was ever burnt as the program kept locking up. Is it possible to do this procedure and if so what am I doing wrong or would it be better to change the .avi's into another format first. The six .avi's are around 238MB each.
    Thanks
    aw56001

2. Maddman

Maddman Member

Im having similar problems right now with nve 4 but when I would do this I exported the avi's into mpeg-2 format with nero by going to make movie. Don't know if nero vision 3 does this though.

For some reason my pc shuts off when I try to make dvd's from avi and wmv's. Though it was working fine for the longest

3. aw56001

aw56001 Member

Apologies, I have Nero 6.6.1.4 and not 6.6.1.8. I did see the Afterdawn guide for making a DVD (To Convert AVI to DVD with Nero Vision 4 (basic guide)) but it is not my version of Nero.
    Thanks
    aw56001
    PS Perhaps its some background program that causes Nero to lock up?

4. gogochar

gogochar Guest

You guys should downgrade your Nero versions to a less problematic 6.6.0.18. I don'y know the link, but Binkie7 does. Look for some of his threads (or ask him directly). Version 6.6.1.4 and above seem to be problematic beyond words!

5. Maddman

Maddman Member

Thanks i'll try a older version. The newest nero 7 uses 100% of my cpu and makes it unstable.

But even convertx does the same thing and makes my pc shutdown

6. gogochar

gogochar Guest

Are you enabling the "Shutdown when finished" option when using ConvertXtoDVD?

7. aw56001

aw56001 Member

Binkie7 advised using another version on another thread when I had trouble burning a normal DVD but I found out what I was doing wrong so I kept 6.6.1.4.
    Surely the version of Nero doesn't really matter because NeroVision Express 3 is a seperate program in itself I presume?
    Would it be worthwhile converting my .avi's to another format and if so what format and can you recommend a free converter that I could use? I will then try a burn.
    Thanks
    aw56001

8. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi aw56001
    Do the avi's play fine on the pc? Check that.
    The guide is in the Nero section for avi will work for Nero 6 too - very similar screens and options.
    Vision is where Nero seems to give users the most problems. Some versions are better in Vision than others.

Vision can be pretty intensive so no mutlitasking and shut down any unncessary programs.

If you need here are links for the clean tool and Nero 6.6.0.18:
    Write down your serial # - uninstall, run the clean tool than reinstall Nero.
    http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/enu/General_CleanTool.html

Package 1
    http://httpdl1.usw.nero.com/software/Nero6/Nero-6.6.0.18_no_yt.exe

Package 2 (Vision & Recode)
    http://httpdl1.usw.nero.com/software/Nero6/NVE-3.1.0.21_no_yt.exe

9. aw56001

aw56001 Member

Hello again
    The .avi's play fine on the computer. I will followthe guide and see what happens. If that fails I will uninstall my version and install the version that you suggest. When you say shut down any unnecessary programs what exactly do you mean? Generally I just start up NeroVision Express and let it do it's thing and never touch the keyboard or mouse. There are background programs running though such as AV, Firewall, Live update, Net Meter etc. Do you suggest shutting these down also?
    Thanks
    aw56001

10. binkie7

@aw56001
    It can't hurt to shut them off - just disconnect from the internet 1st. Some antivirus software can be resource hogs.
    Keeping as much memory/cpu usage free as possible may help nero get thru the trancoding w/o locking up.

Keep us posted!

11. aw56001

aw56001 Member

Thanks. I may bite the bullet and ditch 6.6.1.4 and try 6.6.0.18 as I downloaded it the other day but didn't use it. Will try a burn tomorrow (it's 01.41 here now) and keep you posted.
    aw56001

12. binkie7

Ok
    You can try having everything turned off that you can) while Vision and see if that helps.
    Do a disc cleanup and a system defrag too (if you haven't recently) before using Vision again.

13. aw56001

aw56001 Member

Binkie7
    Here's where I am at.
    I got rid of all Nero, cleaned it and installed Package 1 and Package 2 (Nero 6.6.0.18).
    Turned off broadband and closed all running programs.
    I have six .avi's to go on the DVD disc.
    The first .avi compiled fine (and also did on Nero 6.6.1.4).
    The second .avi compiled to 55.4% and then locked up (also locked up at 55.4% on Nero 6.6.1.4).
    The rest of the .avi's got to various compilation points and then locked up.
    The six .avi's now in the Nero Recode folder play perfectly well as MPEG-4's however stop when they get to the point that the compilation failed although .avi one plays throughout.
    As the first .avi completed compilation It is obvious that the other five .avi's must be flawed in some way and that's why I have been having problems recoding/compiling/burning.
    Is there a free .avi repair tool that you know of or should I try and change them into another format to try and get them to work?
    Should I just give up with these .avi's?
    Thanks
    aw56001

14. binkie7

Hi aw56001
    I would try another program and see if the problem lies w/ Nero or the avi files since you were able to play them back.
    Here are 2 you can try the free trial - will at least tell you where the lies.
    ConvertXtoDVD will leave a watermark - not sure about WinAVI trial. If they transcode successfully you can than use Nero to burn them.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/vso_divxtodvd.cfm
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/winavi_video_converter.cfm

Try one of those and let us know how that goes - hopefully one of them will do the trick on these avi's.

15. aw56001

aw56001 Member

Binkie7
    Thanks for your reply and advice.
    I have successfully converted one of the, what I thought were dodgy .avi's, into DivX format.
    If I convert all six .avi's do I burn the whole six folders (containing Audio_TS and Video_TS) to Nero or do I just burn the .vobs from each folder?
    Will Nero convert the DivX's into another format before it burns them and if not can DivX files be played on a normal DVD player?
    I have a DivX viewer on my computer but I am burning (or trying to anyway) these DVD's for a friend.
    Thanks
    aw56001

16. binkie7

If you converted them to DivX you could just burn the video_ts w/ Nero but your friend will need to have a player that plays these.
    You'd have to check the specs on their player to see if it does.
    You can check here if you have the make & model #:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

You could use one of the programs above to convert to DVD-Video or if you convert them to DivX then you'll need to convert them to dvd-video using Vision again (hopefully it won't hang up on them again) if your friends player doesn't play DivX.
    Must be a good friend:)

If you do a decent amount of avi might not be a bad idea to pick up a player that plays DivX/Xvid then you could just burn the avi's as a data disc. Big time/hassle saver.

Keep us posted!

17. aw56001

aw56001 Member

I think what I will do with the .avi's is convert them to .wmv files using Windows Movie Maker then let Nero recode them to whatever it wants before burning. I know it's long winded process but I'd rather not pay out for a file converter. I may also convert them to DivX using the freebie then trying a burn.

I have a further question: I had 10 half hour TV programmes on 3 CD's which were in .dat format. Last night I used Nero recode to recode them all to mp4 format and this completed successfully. I tried to burn them to DVD using Nero Burning Rom on the 6.6.1.18 package however this failed at the start (internet/open programs all shut down).
    I then used NeroVision Express 3 (Make DVD/DVD Video/Add files) however when I imported all 10 programmes in mp4 format it recoded every one again which took another three hours. I am very happy that it burnt successfully but was there a quicker way to burn them directly i.e so I didn't have to go through the tedious recode process again?
    I don't know why Nero Burning Rom failed it was a new DVD disc.
    Thanks
    aw56001

18. binkie7

Did burning rom give you an error message?

When you use Recode you can burn with Recode also if you just want to keep it in that format. It will convert to mp4 then burn. Pick your drive under destination and set the burn speed.

19. aw56001

aw56001 Member

Thanks for the information. I didn't realise that you could burn in recode however I was recoding every file seperately, then saving them in a new folder, as they were on various CD's. I thought I would burn the whole lot this morning using Nero Burning Rom but as I said it failed. I can't remember the exact message but it happened just after I clicked 'burn' and was something like 'Nero failed to burn at 4X'. I couldn't find a tab to burn it at 2X for some reason. I will keep playing with it as I have already had a successful burn. By the way is mp4 format the same as mpeg-4 format?
    Thanks
    aw56001

20. binkie7

Yes mp4 is mpeg4 what recode digital converts the file format to.
    You could also add more than 1 file in Recode Digital and see how that goes. It will compress them to fit on the disc if needed.

For the burn setting option after you click burn in burning rom click on the burn tab - you can set the burn speed there.

You need to stick around aD aw56001 you are becoming at master at this - I may need to ask for your help on the conversions!