1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI vs MPG

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by mcquicker, Nov 7, 2002.

1. mcquicker

mcquicker Guest

By reading a couple of threads, I gather that avi is inferior to mpg. Is this correct?

I have a good quality movie in avi which I would like to burn to CD, but when I converted to mpg from the avi movie, the quality was much poorer to the original avi.

Any ideas on the matter?

Thanks in advance...

P

2. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

Depends on what you want to do with the movie. If you are looking to play it on your pc only, no need to convert it, if you don't want to. If too big to fit on cd, then encode in divx which keeps the avi quality but compresses the size greatly. If you want to play it on a standalone then it needs to be in mpeg format. If your player handles svcd format, create that. If it only handles vcd, just make sure you set what settings you can on the encoder to the highest quality(you can't change biterate on vcd, but you can run the motion precision to high).

3. mcquicker

mcquicker Guest

By highest quality, do you mean highest resolution? Because, that is what I did, keeping it at the same resolution as the avi, which was as high as I could make it, and it did not look too good.

P

4. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

before i can figure out what you did (usually you can't keep the same resolution as the avi to mpeg). What encoder did you use to encode to mpeg???

5. mcquicker

mcquicker Guest

I decompressed the file with the utility that comes with avi2vcd pack, then used that (avi2vcd) to encode.

I did keep the same resolution as the avi. Perhaps that was the problem.

Since then, I got my hands on Tmpeg, but have not tried it yet, because the Nero program I installed crashed my machine twice.

P

6. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

I think it is more your encoding program then anything...use the tmpgenc...make sure you select 'highest' for motion precision. This will get you the best quality possible for vcd..

7. mcquicker

mcquicker Guest

What about the resolution? Should I leave it at the default for mpeg?

Thanks for the help...

P

8. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

If you use tmpgenc, and you set it for vcd (not svcd). The resolution is set (and yes it is lowered so it can play on your tv set). Also, VCD is set at 1500 bps(biterate which controls quality in the mpeg world). It should come out pretty good unless there is fast motion then it can 'pixel' out. To get the best out of 1500bps you set the motion presision to highest quality (this increases converting time greatly)and will help in making the picture as clear as it can be @ 1500bps. Now svcd, can come near dvd quality because you can set the bps up to 2600kps, but your dvd player must be able to play svcd (not a whole lot do). Even if you play svcd on your pc, you will notice the quality difference over vcd....hope this helps..

9. mcquicker

mcquicker Guest

It helps very much, although I am still a little lost.

I have a HD-TV flat screen (monitor/tv) that handles very high resolution, but I have two regular DVD players, one on the PC the other stand-alone. Why can't I increase the resolution on the VCD to match that of my HDTV monitor?

P

10. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

Without getting technical, mpeg1(VCD) requires certain a certain structure for it to work correctly. The standards require a certain resolution and fixed biterate of 1500bps. This is why mpeg2 was introduced...to up the quality of the picture to 2600bps and larger resolution. You might go to www.vcdhelp.com to get more info on what I am trying to say..If you had a dvd writer you could make dvd's as good as the original, but you still cannot make a true 1:1 copy of a dvd because a dvd movie is typically 5 gig or greater and a standard dvd-r holds a max of 4.7 gig...

11. mcquicker

mcquicker Guest

Got it. Thanks again...

P