1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI wont play in WMP even with ffdshow and cccp

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by bunns2003, Jan 21, 2009.

1. bunns2003

bunns2003 Member

Hey guys, been strugling for few days with this and it getting better of me

Have had ffdshow and cccp on comp for ages and played many avi files in that time on windowms media player. I have now come accross a few avi's however that play the osund but screen is blank!!

The file plays succesfuly in other program such as VLC media player and MPC however i much prefer WMP and would like to use this for all files as this also makes it easier on my mrs.

I have noticed that there is slight distortion, on occasianal basis on avis played through VLC that play fine on WMP, just every now and again, u no where it gos blotchy for several seconds, and this was a another reason was hoping to have WMP for everythin, never had this problem before as i thought ffdshow had saved me from these problems

2. bunns2003

bunns2003 Member

BTW, i have tried gspot to find problem, i dont have much knowledge of this program but it says codec installed for a problem avi for both video and audio

3. gbroman

gbroman Regular member

bunns2003, Hi. Just had the same problem myself.Had ffdshow, cccp, cce sp et al, all the codecs one could have, except this one:-DivX 7. You'll find it here :-
    http://www.divx.com/en/products/software/windows/divx

Are you using WMP 11? Whatever.....the .avi movies played for me once I had installed the DivX 7 codec.

You say that you hear sound but have no picture, that's what I had too.What colour is the screen inside the player that you are opening the .avi movie into, green? Have a look at the .avi file wherever you have it stored on your computer, it probably is a rectangle with a horizintal green strip across the middle of it. Green strip and green screen, sound and no pic---been there. The DivX 7 codec changes all that, the green changes to black in the rectangle and your WMP will not be green, or any other player that you use.
    Worked for me.
    Good luck.

4. bunns2003

bunns2003 Member

I tried that last night but did not work, just tried again but no..

The screen is just black with the audio playing..
    thank you for trying cheers anyway buddy

5. gbroman

gbroman Regular member

bunns2003
    Have you had any joy with the playing of the .avi files yet?
    If not perhaps you can supply some info about the codec problem you said GSpot had mentioned. GSpot's a bit difficult to understand at first. You could try either or both of these programs to get some info on the audio and video codecs that have been used to create the .avi file.
    AviCodec is fairly simple to get info from, its free and is here:-

http://www.afreecodec.com/61/avi-codec/

Also, MediaInfo is fairly easy to use, its free and is here:-

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Type out the info that is given for the VIDEO CODEC and the AUDIO CODEC and post it back here. We might be able to find the codec that you need.
    These programs will also tell you exactly what the structure of the movie is, ie: .avi, XviD/DivX / mpeg2(NTSC) and more. Just type out the top line of information given and lets have a look. These programs can also do a codec /system check of your computer and tell you what's missing.
    Seems strange as you say that you played .avi's on your computer before without any problem. Me too, but something has happened and WMP doesn't seem to want to recognize avi's at the moment. Seems to be a lot of it about, too.
    I'll check back here at intervals to see if you have replied.
    Hope you don't as it might mean that you have sorted out the issue.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  6. bunns2003

bunns2003 Member

thank you v much for trying to help, it is very weird as 95% of my avi's play fine in wmp.
    I donwloaded mediainfo like u said and went to the website for the video codec and instal the xvid 1 but it did not work,
    the details for the file i tried were

1video stream MPEG-4 Visual (DivX 5)
    1audio stream MPEG Audio (Mp3)
    writing application: VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1 (build 2366/release)
    Writing Library: Virtual DUbMod build 2366/release

First Video Stream: 746 KBps, 612*320 (1.913), at 25.000 fps, MPEG-4 Visual (DivX 5)(Streaming Video@L1) (BVOP)
    AND THE LINK WAS: http://mediaarea.net/en/DX50

First Audio Stream: 112 Kbps, 48.0 KHZ, 2 Channels, MPEG Audio (MP3) (Version 1) (Layer 3)
    AND THE LINK WAS: http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/bf/amm/

7. gbroman

gbroman Regular member

bunns2003
    hi, sorry late back. Any joy yet? I'm amazed that the DivX 7 didn't work as its well ahead of DivX 5 (DX50), ffdshow you have and that should have got your movie playing for you, so its a bit of a tricky one. I'm not a whizz on .avi and divx, I prefer DVD Video_TS or MPEG 2. Anyway, the following may work for you

Try this one.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVI_FourCC_Code_Changer?all=1

a quote from the page follows, I have highlighted the reference it makes on DX50, which is showing as being in the video codec of the movie you have.
    "Just Superb!! Many a time, DivX files play in DivX player but when loaded in Virtualdub, there is only a black image. If you see File Information in Virtualdub-it will show the codec as Panasonic DV codec-occasionally the fourcc code may be seen as DX50.
    Just load your video file-set the correct fourcc code in the second line-click Apply and in a fraction of a second, the job is done. The video will now load perfectly in Virtualdub. Tried it with three files yesterday-two showing Panasonic codec and one with DX50 fourcc code. 100% success."

It changes header code of the codec. You load your movie to it from the folder icon shown on its interface, it will show you the codec used and another one will show beneath it: try that one for a start you can enter anything you like into the bottom entry point and try it. Try DX50, try xvid, Xvid, DivX, divx. You have nothing to lose, FourCC does work. The code you enter has to be four characters, .avi is 4 charagcters but I find that it gives the sound but switches the WMP to play its random graphics. Well at least you get something other than a black screen, haha ;). Entering .VOB or MPEG won't work either.( didn't for me, you might come up trumps)
    ............... .................... ...............

Good advice to be found in the link below: take note of Gazmorrgan

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/what-is-the-best-codec-pack-t191700.html

"I told you, but oh well. As an FYI, you can't actually un-install the Nemo Codec pack, it leaves way too much behind.

Do you want to know why you can't play them? It's simple. You have multiple ways to render each video. The problem is some of those ways don't work.

Try this. Get the fourcc changer. Read the 4cc header for videos that play and don't play. You will find that certain headers don't render correctly. No Problem. You can change certain headers (most notably change xvid to divx) and get them to play correctly. This is probably simpler than trying to re-assign the 60 or so AVI header types currently floating around. The real culprits are usually DivX 5 encodes, since there are many variations. Ultimately you want to find out which AVI's aren't rendering properly, this will tell you what codec (dll really) is out of date.

Also let's not forget that a good 75% of downloadable AVI's are pure crap. Cookie cutter encodes that don't understand things like keyframes and indexes."
    Look up DIV5 and DIVX here:-info on possible codes to change the troblesome one you have into.

http://www.fourcc.org/codecs.php

Can't think of much else to put your way, so, Good luck and post back if you get a success.

ps: when / if you use FourCC, check the movie file again with MediaInfo and you will see that the Video codec will have been changed to that which you entered. Then, doudbe click the movie and hopefully, you'll have sound and vision: [the visuals you want that is to say].
    You can change the header as many times as you like, or 'til you run out of codecs, that's when you add and try THE FOOOR letter word, who knows, it might work! Nothing to lose :D
    You can type them in or try those in the built in options:- if one doesn't work you haven't lost the movie. K.
    ciao

an afterthought the next day, you say that most of your avi's play. That's good news because as you have MediaInfo you can use it on them to see what the VIDEO Codec is, note it and try that in the FourCC.
    FourCC 'tricks ' the player into thinking it is addressing a different codec than the one used on the .avi.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  8. gbroman

gbroman Regular member

Sorry, I didn't mean to double post. Have tried edit/delete but no will do.

bunns2003
    hi, sorry late back. Any joy yet? I'm amazed that the DivX 7 didn't work as its well ahead of DivX 5 (DX50).
    ffdshow you have and as you said, that should have got your movie playing for you, so its a bit of a tricky one. I'm not a whizz on .avi and divx, I prefer DVD Video_TS or MPEG 2. Anyway, the following may work for you

Try this one. Only takes about 5 seconds to download:-

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AVI_FourCC_Code_Changer?all=1

a quote from the page follows, I have highlighted the reference it makes on DX50, which is showing as being in the video codec of the movie you have.
    "Just Superb!! Many a time, DivX files play in DivX player but when loaded in Virtualdub, there is only a black image. If you see File Information in Virtualdub-it will show the codec as Panasonic DV codec-occasionally the fourcc code may be seen as DX50.
    Just load your video file-set the correct fourcc code in the second line-click Apply and in a fraction of a second, the job is done. The video will now load perfectly in Virtualdub. Tried it with three files yesterday-two showing Panasonic codec and one with DX50 fourcc code. 100% success."

or here, gives you a bit of info into what it does etc:-

http://www.inmatrix.com/files/avic_download.shtml

It changes header code of the codec. You load your movie to it from the folder icon shown on its interface, it will show you the codec used and another one will show beneath it: try that one for a start you can enter anything you like into the bottom entry point and try it. Try DX50, try xvid, Xvid, DivX, divx. You have nothing to lose, FourCC does work. The code you enter has to be four characters, .avi is 4 charagcters but I find that it gives the sound but switches the WMP to play its random graphics. Well at least you get something other than a black screen, haha ;). Entering .VOB or MPEG won't work either.( didn't for me, you might come up trumps)
    ............... .................... ...............

Good advice to be found in the link below: take note of Gazorgan

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/what-is-the-best-codec-pack-t191700.html

"I told you, but oh well. As an FYI, you can't actually un-install the Nemo Codec pack, it leaves way too much behind.

Do you want to know why you can't play them? It's simple. You have multiple ways to render each video. The problem is some of those ways don't work.

Try this. Get the fourcc changer. Read the 4cc header for videos that play and don't play. You will find that certain headers don't render correctly. No Problem. You can change certain headers (most notably change xvid to divx) and get them to play correctly. This is probably simpler than trying to re-assign the 60 or so AVI header types currently floating around. The real culprits are usually DivX 5 encodes, since there are many variations. Ultimately you want to find out which AVI's aren't rendering properly, this will tell you what codec (dll really) is out of date.

Also let's not forget that a good 75% of downloadable AVI's are pure crap. Cookie cutter encodes that don't understand things like keyframes and indexes."
    Look up DIV5 and DIVX here:-info on possible codes to change the troblesome one you have into.

http://www.fourcc.org/codecs.php

Can't think of much else to put your way, so, Good luck and post back if you get a success.

ps: when / if you use FourCC, check the movie file again with MediaInfo and you will see that the Video codec will have been changed to that which you entered. Then, doudbe click the movie and hopefully, you'll have sound and vision: [the visuals you want that is to say].
    You can change the header as many times as you like, or 'til you run out of codecs, that's when you add and try THE FOOOR letter word, who knows, it might work! Nothing to lose :D
    You can type the new codes in or try those in the built in options:- if one doesn't work you haven't lost the movie. K.
    ciao

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  9. daboy85

daboy85 Member

i downloaded some movies off of torrents and they simply dont play on anything , ive downloaded every and all codecs that i could find, and i cant understand why. the videos have an .avi extenstion, but they are xvid in the title is there somthing im missing? HELP!

10. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Maybe the files you downloaded are corrupt.

11. daboy85

daboy85 Member

i doubt it, i downloaded like 6 moives and none of them work, some i downloaded 2 and 3 times, different torrents and they still dont work. i tired everything any suggestions?

12. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Try making an AVI from one of your own discs and see if that plays.

13. Karim1988

Karim1988 Member

Get VLC player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc) and assign all video file types to be played with it.. no need to install codecs. I suggest playing all audio with WMP so you can sync it to your portable, etc.

PS I hate iTunes lol

14. Karim1988

Karim1988 Member

o0o OK so u can play with VLC eh.. lol.

15. Paula_X

Paula_X Guest

probably too many codecs installed.. ONLY install one set at a time.. not cccp/k-lite and others all together..

anyway.. has done you a favour because wmp (wank media player) is bad spyware.. it reports every file you play to 30 or so "copyright enforcers" and rights holders.. do you want time-warner and emi and $ony knowing what file you are watching and where you got it from?? didn't think so.