1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avi

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Cute, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Cute

Cute Guest

what is the point of avi since they cannot be put on dvd easily, so why dont ppl who aquire them or make them do them as mpeg? I have a fair few avi sitting on my harddrive and im trying to decide wether to make them all into mpeg in case i decide in the future to dvd them!

comments would be appreciated!:)

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i think if you want it in the future then convert them in the future.

those avis of yours is meant for pc archiving/backup

3. TheTorg

TheTorg Guest

The reason avi is so prevalent is because it is an open container. Since the only requirement of an avi is for the audio and video to be interleaved, you can put just about anything inside it. This means you can have any type of video or audio compression in any combination. This makes it very popular with just about every frameserver and encoding application.

Also, if you are a fan of High-Definition video, once encoded, you don't want to convert that video to mpeg since you would lose some of the quality of the avi. So it's good to have avi's in their format for storage until you need to convert it for DVD purposes or whatnot.