1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI's downloaded on Morpheus - no display

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by JobeWar, Feb 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JobeWar

JobeWar Member

Can anyone direct me to whatever drivers or what is needed to view AVI's that I've downloaded from Morpheus? - Any AVI file that I get will play the audio, but NOT the video. I have attempted to play the AVI on multiple players: Windows Media, Quicktime, Real Audio, etc... all show no video. PLEASE HELP!! Thanks in advance!

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

This is one of the FAQs :) Do this:

-uninstall all of your DivX codecs (3.x AND 4.x if you have both) and make sure they're gone -- boot after this
    -install DivX 3.11 alpha
    -install DivX 4.12 and when the installer asks "use DivX4 to play DivX3 clips" answer "No"

...both codecs can be found from our site.

3. JobeWar

JobeWar Member

Thanks for the info. I loaded the Codecs like instructed, but still no video. In fact I noticed on some players I have audio at least. Windows Media Player keeps giving me "unknown errors" messages. - Maybe I missed uninstalling my existing? What file or program would I look for to uninstall existing DivX codecs? - Thanks again! (BTW - how do you get to your faq page?)

4. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

I once had the same proble, a movie downloaded from Morpheus only showed a white screen and played the audio. In this case i think it was the actual video-file that was the problem, maybe you have the same problem.

5. JobeWar

JobeWar Member

Hmmmm, I wondered that myself. That the file itself is bad. However, I have downloaded 3 different avi's from 3 different sources. And all are doing the same. No video but audio. O well. Guess I'll have to go buy the DVD...

6. dRD

Try to uninstall DivX4 and see if it plays with just DivX3 codecs. Problem is with DivX4 playing DivX3 SBC encoded videos incorrectly or not at all and that is a very common problem. I suggest that before you give up, you try to make sure (or try the clips with other computer, might help) that your codecs were totally completely uninstalled (there's something in Win's Control panel that shows a list of installed codecs, you can also use VirtualDub to see your installed video codecs) before installing the stuff again. And install first DivX3 and see if the clips work.

7. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Control Panel/Multimedia/devices/Imagesignal packing control(or something, direct translation from finnish).

Could it be the player you´re using?

8. JobeWar

JobeWar Member

I have tried the avi files on multiple players. All with no video, or error messages. In looking at the devices in Ctrl Panel under Video Codecs, here is what is listed:

Cinepak (TM)
    DivX ;-) MPEG-4 Video Codec (Fast-Motion)
    DivX ;-) MPEG-4 Video Codec (Slow-Motion)
    DivX 4.12 Codec
    Indeo Video R3.2
    Indeo Video R3.2 *(yes listed twice in list)
    Indeo Video Raw YVU9
    Lingos Indeo Video 5.11
    Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec v1
    Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec v2
    Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec v3
    msh261 [M261]
    msh263 [M263]
    msyuv [UYVY]
    msyuv [YUY2]
    msyuv [YVYU]
    RLE
    VDOnet VDOWave Video Codec
    Video 1

Now... which ones do I delete/remove? - I surely appreciate the help on this one. Thanks profusley!

9. dRD

All DivX codecs. Then re-install DivX ;-) 3.11 alpha and try it again. Might work :)

10. JobeWar

JobeWar Member

Hey all - Thanks for the advice. Looks like the files may be bad. I tried only installing one ver. of DivX each and both together... still to no avail.

Could it be I just downloaded 3 seperate avi's from 3 seperate sources that were all bad?? - Thanks.

11. dRD

Sounds unlikely, but it's possible. One more solution -- DivX-Digest.com has nice codec bundles available that have virtually all possible codecs in the world. Install one of those and see if those help, it's still possible that your AVIs were encoded using some other format, like Windows Media Video or XviD.

12. JobeWar

JobeWar Member

AH-HA! - I looked at the properties under the 3 avi's under the video compression heading. It says the files use: MS-MPEG4 V3 - Above reply in my list of codecs, that Microsoft MPEG4 v3 is in the list. Does that pretty much confirm the avi's are junk? - Thanks again.

13. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

All the videos I´ve had in MPEG4 have played just nicely on WMP, still it´s weird to find three bad files on Morpheus, or did you get them from one "artist" ?

14. JobeWar

JobeWar Member

Here's the scoop... I have tried to view the files on another computer, found out on media player when I tried to play, it gave out an unknown error. Same as on my system. On one of the files (excuse me for overlooking the details) when I checked the "details" of this file on Morpheus, it said in the comments box "audio only" so the 3rd file is a known video-less avi. Why? I dunno... wouldn't an MP3 of that same audio be a considerably less amount of storage space? An avi without video for 1 hour was about 400Meg... So the other two files I deleted. Then I downloaded the same two files as Mpgs (from Morpheus)... and guess what? They work like snoochie bootches (It was Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back in two parts). I would like to thank all for the insight. I have learned much...

15. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Hope it works in the future too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.