1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR Suggestions Please??

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by oppie2, Mar 19, 2020.

1. oppie2

oppie2 Newbie

I have (very reluctantly) decided to replace my old Denon AVR-3805 (I use Klipsch Heresy 2s all the way around with subs on the two fronts/mains). The sound from the unit is astonishing but it's now 15 years old and those old Burr-Brown decoders are primitive by today's standards. I tried a DAC but that didn't work out. I've been a classical musician since I was a kid so I'm really picky about the quality of sound; if it isn't really good sound, I won't listen to it at all. I'll be connecting any AVR in 5.1 as I no longer have room for surround/back speakers. I really don't need a lot of bells and whistles like huge amounts of power, multiple zones etc. (I have those in my Denon but never used them). What I need is an AVR with the best quality sound possible, a good number of inputs and the best possible surround processing. I'm trying to stay under $1,000 (less if possible) so I'm willing to go used/refurbished if it can get me a better unit and if I can find a reliable seller. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding AVRs and if you know any good reliable online dealers, please suggest them! Thanks.

2. jakewash

jakewash Member

Look for an anthem avr MRX series, you should be able to find good used ones in your price range. I own Denon 3808 and am going to get an anthem when it finally dies.

3. -Jim-

-Jim- Member

I understand your need for only a 5.1 setup, but in today's receivers to get a lot of inputs, you need to move up to units with more channels (but of course you don't need to use them all). One of the benefits of not driving all the channels simultaneously is the power supply is less taxed and the amplifiers run cleaner with less distortion. (Check the specs.) I doubt you use all the connections on your AVR-3805, and only the top of the line Denons will get even close to what was available then. I find I've moved towards HDMI and very few analogue or optical connections these days.

Assuming you are in the USA I suggest you look at
    Code:
    https://www.accessories4less.com/
    as they have superb pricing, and typically offer extra discounts when stock needs to move. Currently I'd recommend the AVR-X4500H (I have the older AVR-X4400H and it's been great) to replace your existing Denon. It's got a 3 year warranty and the reviews are solid on the Web.

Good Luck with your purchase, whatever it is.