1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Azureus Vuze Torrent Opening Problem. (V3.1.1.0)

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by dragonz17, Jul 30, 2008.

1. dragonz17

dragonz17 Regular member

Vuze has been working flawlessly until just today when I wanted to download a movie.

Did the same process;

1- Get the .torrent file from the internet.
    2- Open the .torrent file with a torrent program (Vuze).
    3- Wait till it downloads.
    4- Until I've got whatever I wanted.

Here’s a screenshot;

[​IMG]

If anyone knows the problem, please tell me what I need to do to sort this out. Thanks.

2. varnull

varnull Guest

Was it just this one? It happens sometimes due to torrent being removed or uploader getting it wrong. You should be able to open the file with notepad or a basic text editor and have a look at it... It should list tracker details and some other stuff related to number of packets/pieces and private or not.. most likely it just contains rubbish, or is written in a language other than computerspeak English.

3. dragonz17

dragonz17 Regular member

Thanks for the comment.

The torrent files that I’ve downloaded all have high seeders and are in the top 100 most downloaded files of the day- so the torrent files being corrupted or uploaded incorrectly shouldn't be the problem.

Look in the image for more information;

[​IMG]

4. Lillith88

Lillith88 Regular member

Hi Dragonz,

I'm wondering if Vuze was working flawlessly until recently then have you made some changes? Did you perhaps update? Or uninstall and reinstall? Did something change that lead into this?

5. dragonz17

dragonz17 Regular member

Nothing apart from turning my PC off last night and turning it back on again today.

Edit

On second thought, I did install Limewire Pro v4.18.3- but that won't affect Vuze though would it?... (Vuze is still the default .torrent handler)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  6. Lillith88

Lillith88 Regular member

Hi again,

Ok another thought. How long ago was it that you installed Limewire? And did you do any downloading through it? Might want to check this out

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/14857.cfm

Possible that your comp has been compromised? And your certain that Vuze is still your default handler? Also somebody suggested trying Frostwire instead of Limewire. I can't recall but I believe it was freeware.

7. varnull

varnull Guest

^^ very good point Lillith.. I don't trust limewire.. You got that in while I was posting.

I would try reinstalling vuze. This file has been uploaded quite a few times by the same person.. maybe they have problems. All the listed ones open fine in my azureus, so probably limewire is to blame for screwing up azureus.

It only takes a few minutes to reinstall it, then try opening the file again (pop it on your desktop.. it looks fine and seems to work properly)

Just a quick check.. does your file end with
    Code:
    Ð5¥´�O)n±Râg`?svÑ?Ζ¼ee
    ee is the EOF flag

If you get the same problem then look at limewire as a very likely culprit..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  8. Lillith88

Lillith88 Regular member

Actually Varnull, it may have been you that I saw suggesting Frostwire on another thread! Sorry didn't mean to steal your thunder!

9. varnull

varnull Guest

Not me.. I wouldn't suggest frostwire either. Same malware and entrapment risk. everybody who has been sued by the riaa/mpaa has been using limewire/frostwaire.

Every really badly infected machine I have seen has always had one thing in common.. limewire/frostwire/bearshare/morpheus or similar set to connect at boot... there are trojans about which trick you into downloading them which then give access to your whole machine to the malware controller. they use the p2p connect on boot setting to get notified of the presence of their backdoor. A quick search for "hide.exe" will often expose these nasties.. the more simple exploits anyway.

What do you think? Full malware scan then reinstall java and vuze?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2008
  10. Lillith88

Lillith88 Regular member

Yeah I'd have to say that sounds like a good plan, full scan and reinstall. It seems possible that something could of slipped through. (Must of been somebody else I saw recommend that frostwire, my bad)

11. dragonz17

dragonz17 Regular member

Thank you for the helpful replies.

My first thought was that I got a virus or mailware from Limewire. Turns out that I did! Carried a full system scan with Norton 360 and found 2 viruses on my BOOT drive (OS drive).

Just out of curiosity, is Norton 360 any good? Is there anything better?

Now I tried downloading the movie "Wanted" again in Vuze and it worked.

Thanks again for the replies.

12. Lillith88

Lillith88 Regular member

Hey Dragonz,

Glad to hear you got it taken care of and are back in working order. And about Norton 360, I have it on my other comp and it's ok. It seems to do the job although I don't find it very user friendly. (I like to know what my protection is doing..sigh...)
    But I bet Varnull would have more idea's in that department. Sorry And hey cool pic by the way!

13. dragonz17

dragonz17 Regular member

Lol thanks for the comment Lillith.

A friend kindly took the time to make it for me a while back. I'm still learning to fix blemishes on photos in Photoshop.

14. varnull

varnull Guest

Norton is OK.. it's not great, but then no effective antivirus which doesn't take 90% of your cpu time really is. the really importamnt thing with symantec software is to have a legit installation. Ones that are uploaded often have various backdoors and flaws that come to light only when it is too late.

I tend to install Avast antivirus on customers machines.. it's free, and along with the now outdated avg free antispyware (7.5.5ish on major-geeks still) it makes a superb malweare detection and screening suite.

Anyway.. everything is working now.. malware detected and killed, normality returns and a timely warning about limewire without too much damage being done.

Pleased we got that one so easily. I would still be tempted to look in the spyware/virus threads and possibly contact 2OG for advice as your machine has been compromised and may still be running some nasties in the background. :)

15. dragonz17

dragonz17 Regular member

Thanks for letting me know about the hazard of making use of a pirated copy version of Norton 360, however mine is legit as it came pre-installed on my new PC (Think it’s an OEM version).

Avast! 4 Professional Edition looks like a wise program to use and I’ve got Spybot for my spyware detection and removal.

Yeah I think I might do that as my PC has been a little sluggish which is odd because it has got a 5.9 rating in Windows Vista Home Premium.