1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[b]Help[/b]: Screen/Motherboard problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by parizada, Jun 11, 2007.

1. parizada

parizada Guest

Hi guys.
    I'm having a few issues with the family desktop (I'm writing this on my laptop). Yesterday, when my mum turned the comp on, the screen didn't come on for some time. Then today, it wouldn't work at all. The motherboard is working - in that i can hear it humming etc but nothing's on the screen. By the way, the screen is definately turned on. Then what i did was i turned the computer off from the main switch, waited a few minutes, then tried to boot up again. This time it worked, but only for a few minutes, then the screen went blank again. And by blank, i don't mean the blue error screen or anything...it just turned itself off.
    I have no idea what's going on. I thought maybe it was a problem with the screen but then why does it work sometimes? Also, while the motherboard is humming away, it keeps scanning the disk drives one after the other.
    So...if anyone has any ideas that would be great.
    I don't know if it's the screen, the motherboard, a virus or what? Also, how am i supposed to fix it, if i can't even work on the computer?
    This is really frustrating and any help would be really appreciated.

2. colw

colw Active member

As a first step you should try hooking up a different monitor and see if it works.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

also try another videocard but tend to think it is the monitor