1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to Windows 7 - help please!

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by karenishere, Jun 11, 2014.

1. karenishere

karenishere Member

I have a laptop happily running windows 7 home premium. I have the product key. Good start! I have two older laptops which are running ubuntu. I want to switch them back to windows 7. Both of these originally came with windows 7, but it was wiped in the ubuntu conversion, and the product key stickers on the bottom are so old I can't read them at all.

Now since windows 7 was pre-installed when I bought these two computers, I don't think it's reasonable that I should have to purchase it again. However, I have no way of accessing those original product keys. Is it possible, and could you walk me through, making a copy of the windows 7 I have that's working, and then installing it on the other 2 laptops? TIA.

ETA: while not perhaps ideal, it would be acceptable if the 2 old laptops didn't ever go online, they're basically for playing and wp in places that don't have internet access anyway. I don't know if this makes any difference, but if the "objection" to a missing product key comes when you go online, that wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Product keys are set for the computer they were originally activated on except for retail bought keys,even then you CANNOT have two or more computers running with the same key regardless online or not.Ok now the fix,you maybe able to get the original keys from manufacturer of laptop only other option is apart from buying new licenses is to use daz loader which can be got from torrent be sure to read comments before downloading & get latest version,then its just a matter of installing any copy of windows 7 to the laptop this requires an install disc which can also be got from torrent tho the iso will require burning to cd or dvd,when installing do not in put a key,once finished run daz loader

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

look under the laptops as should be a sticker on each that has the registration numbers for windows 7.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

member can't ddp the labels have been damaged

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ooops.

6. pw2much

pw2much Member

Sorry I'm late for giving you an answer to your issue, but here goes! Every Computer desktop, Laptop that came with windows already installed on it has what the manufacturer calls a recovery disc that you may have to purchase from them in order to re-install your laptop to it's original default setup (what was on it at the time you purchased it) that means the extra programs everything! because the info for the windows software is imbedded on the Laptop hard drive. Contact the manufacturer and asked them if they have this recovery disc. But be prepared to buy it!! Also I believe that when they send you the disk it may have the Windows product key on the disc envelope, if not, don't worry the recovery disc should work anyway. or it may show you that info when installation starts. You might also just ask them when inquiring about the disc.
    P.S. Do not try what scorpNZ has told you to do you will ruin your chance to restore you computer back to it's original state and also your windows will be considered (Not genuine windows product).

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  7. pw2much

pw2much Member

If you want to keep any programs that you put on those laptops that wasn't on there originally then backup the programs and re-install them after you do the recovery!

8. aldan

aldan Active member

since these two laptops have had ubuntu installed im gonna take a wild guess and say the drive partitions ie rcovery were deleted so no his windows 7 key will not be imbedded in his hdd. further to this recovery disks will not work either as his drive was formatted to install ubuntu.scorps method will work but i cant say more as its a violation of forum rules.the only legal way to do this is to purchase two windows 7 licences and install fresh copies.

9. pw2much

pw2much Member

It Wouldn't cost him if he called the manufacturers and ask to be sure!! If I'm wrong then he can proceed as he needs.

10. aldan

aldan Active member

oh yes,by all means i would see what they have to say.

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Recovery disk will only be useful if it's an auto OEM activation version,if it ain't a key will still be required,you may be able to get an original oem windows 7 install disc from piratebay that once installed automatically activates,however it will use an oem license key & will not match the original key for the laptop. Again you need to read comments on piratebay as injected viruses can & do exist in some win 7 uploaded iso's tho trusted uploaders have the markers next to their online handle

Other way round it is take both laptops to a local trusted pc store they may have licenses from stuffed same laptops which you could buy or an oem auto activate reinstall disc.