1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back up a Series 2 Tivo to DVD?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by cmooreiii, Sep 12, 2005.

1. cmooreiii

cmooreiii Member

I've read in several places that you can back-up a Tivo pretty easily going directly from hard drive to hard drive.

Is it possible to back up a Tivo to an existing hard drive (on my computer) then burn the image(s) off onto DVD? If so, what are the steps? If it's too involved for here, do you know of any good websites that walk a person through the process? Finally, how hard is it to take those images back to a new drive when needed?

I want to protect myself against a hard drive crash and I have one 40 hour Tivo that's making some strange sounds these days which tells me it's time. Also, I don't care if the programs are backed up. I'm just looking to protect the brains of the Tivo.

Thanks,
    Chuck

2. cmooreiii

cmooreiii Member

Though I didn't get a reply here, I thought I would share some information for anyone who stumbles past the thread as advice from a different forum really helped me.

Google search for "hinsdale how to". It set me right up.

It took a bit of work for me to figure out that I had to back-up the images to a fat32 drive, but once I made it past that point (looking at the end of the "how to" for the XP user info) it was smooth sailing.

I don't have a ton of linux experience and am pleased to say (for those going down this road that are also apprehensive) it proved very intuitive thanks to the guide.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005