1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

back up dvd not playing on dvd player!

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by jcguy, Aug 18, 2005.

1. jcguy

jcguy Member

Hi there, can anybody tell me, where i can get a dvd player that plays backed up dvds, because the one i have at home (philips 642 i believe) doesn't do a good job, it freezes threw out the movie, every once in a while, thus is when i burn the dvd to a 4.7gb, but it works fine when i burn the movie to a dvd+rw DL! HELP?!

2. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

How fast are you creating your backups, burn speed I mean? Slow is always better.

3. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

welcome jcguy if you have the 642 by phillips you should be in good shape. I would look first media is it a good brand? what are you using? also never burn above 4x problems start happing at faster speeds also how high is the compression try doing just the movie, but for better help what programs are you using from start to finish...

4. jcguy

jcguy Member

Hi there, well i use dvd decrypter to copy the movies from the orginal dvd, then use roxio to burn and compress the movie on to the 4.7gb dvd, i use the 4x speed, verbatim.

5. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Why don't you try using DvD Shrink and then Nero to burn your disc.
    OR...if the DvD If the DvD is small enough just create an .iso with Decrypter and burn the .iso to disc.

BUT REMEMBER just like slmh1296 and I stated before...burn slow. Not exceeding 4x is a good rule of thumb.

6. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

hey jcguy, uniique1 is got a good idea if you have nero use it. nero is so much better than roxio. dvdshrink is a better program to use than roxio's compression program.I got rid of roxio hated it.verb is good media are you using +R or -R i have found and read this also dvd-r is more friendly to most dvd players. you may try different media that could also help too sometimes dvd players get picky and that gets back to dvd+rw works fine they are made differently than dvd+/-R i think i would try differnet media and try -R

7. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Also, I know it may seem like something may think of but remember, most DvD Players (stand-a-alone) will have the compatibility info printed on their body. Usually the front panel. If not, make sure you check the manual to see what your player can work with and cross reference that with your PC's burner. That way you strengthen your chance of having successful backups and playback.

8. jcguy

jcguy Member

Hey there, well its able to play all dvd and cd medias.

9. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Now you just need to figure out which media works best for you. I'd keep in the -R range. Philips and Verbatim are pretty good.

10. slmh1296

slmh1296 Guest

Not only is good media essential but compression also can play a factor some of these new disc are quit large. I always do movie only no menus nothing extra to keep the compression down and then compress to no more than 4400mb, because as you get to the edge of the disc sometimes the ink doesnt get pressed as evenly so sometimes at the end of movies you get freezing ans skipping.As uniique1 stated Verb and Phillips is great media. I have had great luck with TDK too. you never said if you do have the phillips 642 if you do that is a great player. Let us know how it goes..

11. jcguy

jcguy Member

Ok i'll give that a try, but right now i'm going to stick with the dvd DL, just have to remind myself not to upgrade firmware on my philips 642 player, because last time i did, my dvd+dl media skipped and freezed, because of the dvd protaction.

12. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

@jcguy

I wouldn't use DL unless it was absolutely necessary. There are perfectly good quality single layer disc out there. That's like saving a couple of MS Word documents to a CD-R wasting all that space on the disc for nada.You'd lose about 650mbs in that example. Just a thought.

13. arniebear

arniebear Active member

There is no RW dual layer media.

14. jcguy

jcguy Member

i know, i keep getting different formats mixed. sorry.

15. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Just what burner do you have, and is the firmware up to date on it? Have you played your disks in another player to make sure it is not a burning problem?