1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

back up movie plays on pc dvd player but not standalone player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by djwesty72, Mar 5, 2004.

1. djwesty72

djwesty72 Member

hi all
    ivr got a back up movie which will play with no problem on my pc dvd rom but when i put it on my dvd player under the tv nothing
    dvd shrink wont read it but dvd decryter will is there any way i can get this movie 2 work on my standalone player
    tia

2. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

on dvd shrink,did u click dvd high compatability on BACKUP, did u burn at a slow speed? also some standalones will not read copied dvd's at all.

another thing it could be is the type of media u r using (personally the best media i have come accross is phillips dvd+r)

Sorry for being vague but it could be a few things

3. mark1

mark1 Member

hi there,

i find a lot of old dvd players struggle with cheap +r disks, if you record with a -r you may find more stand alone dvd players will except this format. what do you burn with? if it is nero, get it to check the disk to ensure it has burnt correctly, this maybe your problem
    Mark

4. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

+r works fine as long as its good media i.e philips.
    -r is not as tecnically as advanced as +randstillhas compatability issues if you buy cheap media.
    DONT SELL YA CRAP ON THIS SITE

5. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

sorry bout the lack of spaces in that last post my space bar has just started jammin up.

6. djwesty72

djwesty72 Member

my dvd player has no problems playing any kind of media that ive put in it when i put this movie in dvd shrink it says that the navigation is wrong and it wont read the disk is this the problem

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

djwesty72,

You can't hold up a single standalone DVD player and say the disc is wrong - cheap media is a cause the majority of the time - other times it's Karma -

Take your DVD to the Mall (or any large electronics store where many different standalones are on display and try your DVD in them -

Also, when we talk Quality media, we refer to Ritek G04 OR Verbatim discs :)

Pete

8. Powell241

Powell241 Member

I have a similar problem with my back up copy, but with no other errors. I use DVD Shrink to compress/encrypt to size and Nero to burn the DVD. The disc will play in my burner but not in any of the 4 standalone DVD players I tried. A previous backup of a different movie plays in all players fine. My drive is a Cendyne 4X +R and I'm using TDK 4X +R media. I'm behind the times as far as the PC is concerned, my processor is a Celeron 700MHZ with 384MB Ram, but that should not hinder the performance of the copied disc. Any other suggestions.

9. GrandPa

GrandPa Guest

I also have problems playing Backup DVD's on anything other than the two computers in our house. The burner is a Multi Recorder HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA 4020B In an IBM Intellistation 3.1GHz W/XP-Pro and 1 Gig of Ram using DVDXCOPY Platinum. They work fine when played on my PC and the one with the burner. Oh yea we use -R & -RW Media. Nothing works on our two stand alone dvd players.

Please help.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Welcome to the Club Powell241,

You sound Ok to me for the most part - You have enough PC to do fine :)

You might want to download the newest version of DVDShrink - you can use it with Nero and DVD Decrypter as burners - yep, DVD Shrink and Decrypter. You can do a complete backup almost as fast as XCopy Xpress but with far more control and for free too.

Let’s get your media straightened out -
    TDK media at best can be rated as fair -

1. Cheap media skips, freezes, fuzzes, pixelats, partially jams and of course, our good old standby, either doesn’t burn or doesn’t play at all :-(

Cheap media is great for text, Data, Spreadsheets, .Jpg and .Gif pictures and is good even for MP3 music BUT for DVD backups - BLAaaaaaT! It SUCKTH in an extremely great way !

2. Top flight media is needed for DVD reproduction !
    Ritek G04's or Verbatim are what we’re looking for OR any media boasting “Advanced AZO Metal Dye”, this indicates a superior dye application, while they are a bit “pricey” they are acceptable.

Question - If you make coasters out of 3 cheap discs and good copies from 3 Verbatim discs or 3 Ritek G04 discs - which ones then are too expensive ?

Try a media name brand change.

Remember many older players only played -R media not +R -

Use this to check out what type of media your standalones play -

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Welcome to you too GrandPa,

You don’t say what media you use -

You do say you’re using RW media - most standalone players won’t play RW media, only single write media for dinner for these guys.

I suggest you spend some time and read some of these threads - in very short order you’ll find other programs to use in your DVD Backup work besides Xcopy (we all bought it and wished didn’t, you’re in excellent company :D)

For you also, read the answers given above, check your players and your media :)

Hope I’ve been of some help to you both -

Pete