1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

back up of my hd dvd's

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by darensvt, Jun 30, 2007.

1. darensvt

darensvt Member

I was wondering if you need to buy blank HD DVD disc to back up my HD DVD's or will regular blank DVD disc work? Also is DVDShrink the program to use now a days for HD or is HD DVDFab a better choise? Thank you all for your help.

2. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

You would have to do a lot more work to back up an HD-DVD to a regular DVD and it wouldn't keep its original quality, so i would use a blank HD-DVD.

DVD Shrink wont work for HD-DVDs. You could use DVDfab HD to rip the disc, then use ImgBurn to build and burn the image.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  3. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

Are there any HD dvd writers(burners) for sale?
    I just ripped a HD dvd with Anydvd HD and created an iso with ImgBurn and mounted the image with Daemon tools and it plays fine on my computer. I'm using the xbox 360 hd dvd drive. It's a little unpractical to rip these 20-30 gig HD dvd's to your hd though. Even with a large hard drive or multiple hard drives they'll get filled up pretty quick.

4. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

Yes there are HD-DVD burners but they're kinda slow so i wouldn't buy one just yet.

Bohefus what are you using to play your HD-DVD's with? I've tried ripping with DumpHD and AnyDVD HD, and I've tried to play the EVO's with PowerDVD 6.5, and WinDVD 8 in Windows and in Linux i've tried SMplayer, Mplayer, and VLC. I have the K-lite Mega codec pack installed in Windows but still nothing. Any ideas?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  5. slowie

slowie Guest

I'd never heard of HD DVD burner, instead that I know some dvd burners like nero, handbrake, xilisoft, and imtoo.

6. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

First of all, he isn't talking about HD-DVD burning software. He's talking about an HD-DVD burner drive.

But there is software to burn HD-DVD's. Nero Linux 3 has Blu-ray and HD-DVD burning capabilities.

7. zipptide

zipptide Member

Yeah Bohefus i tried that a while ago , but its really impractical so i kinda stopped after ripping it to the hdd.

Anyway my graphics card wont play it off the Xbox360 HD DVD drive ,even with Powerdvd ultra. I have been able to play HD torrent with power ultra though with some shuddering. When i have some time make an iso and mount it with poweriso to see if my hardware will play it.

8. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

My old computer wouldn't play HD dvd but I just upgraded and my new setup plays it fine from the disc and rips. I now have an HDCP compliant monitor and video cards.
    Here's my new Monitor and Video Cards in SLI. Seems like with my old setup it would start to play from the ripped HD dvd file and then would lockup or studder real bad. Now with the new setup it wont even try to play from the hddvd folder( I think it might be a new version of Powerdvd ultra). But it plays great straight from the disc or creating an iso from the folder and Mounting it with Daemon Tools.

Rest of the computer if your interested
    Case
    Motherboard
    Processor
    Power Supply
    Ram

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  9. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

I'm Using Anydvd HD to rip the discs and Powerdvd ultra to play them.
    When using an older version of Powerdvd ultra(don't remember the version #) It would play the HD dvd straight from the output folder of the ripped disc. It wouldn't play long or at all well with my old computer. Athlon64 3200+, Geforce 6800, 1.5 gb ram, etc. Now with my new computer it plays very well but when I select the output folder with Powerdvd ultra it selects the file but won't do anything. I have to create an iso and mount it.

10. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

Ah OK. Wasn't thinkin about that. Mine aren't HDCP compliant. Damn i should've thought about this when i upgraded my computer. I guess I'll have to upgrade again.

11. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

Even with a HDdvd burner that burns at 1x and a single layer writeable HDdvd disc your going to have to have software that can reauther or compress the contents to fit on a 15gb single layer disc.

12. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

there is the answer that iam looking

i think we cab back up hddvd to hdd

i was wondering do we need softy to compress it to 15gb
    howabout
    fabdvdhd decrypt does this just decrypt or it can compress it to 15gb

13. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

The question to me is... Is it worth the expense to buy a hd dhd burner and the HDdvd writable discs. Probably cheaper(at least at the moment) to buy a retail HDdvd movie from the store or rent them from netflix.

14. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

whats is the dif between isoimage and ripped content on hd

if there is which one is better and why