1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

back up pc games

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by handrail, Apr 18, 2005.

1. handrail

handrail Member

what programs are best for backing up my pc games.i already use dvd shrink and dvd dycrypter to copy dvds, but pc games are new to me.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Any burning proggy will do just use the copy disk feature.

3. jsjpov

jsjpov Member

Grab yourself a copy of Alcohol 120%. There are a couple of trial versions (Alcohol 120% - Alcohol 52%) that you can use for about a month. I don't often buy software because first I think the majority of it is overpriced for what you get, and secondly, it's usually not as good as I've been expecting. Alcohol is different enough for me to have purchased it... It's reasonably priced and it works so well! If you do intend to try it out, make sure you download 'A-Ray Scanner' aswell, just to make sure you can get the most out of your software! It will determine the majority of disk protections for you...

Hope this helps.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The majority of PC games use either SafeDisc or SecuROM and there are three major software suites for backing up PC protections - BlindWrite, Alcohol 120% and Clone CD. I'm not satisfied with having to use emulation to run games so here's my take on all three,

Alcohol 120% is great at SafeDisc and stinks at SecuROM. One of it's strongest points is the ability to use emulation for those whose burners aren't able to make a true working copy. The downside of that is you must have A120 installed in order to run an emulated backup.

CloneCD is a great all around app but it gets blacklisted all the time so your only option is to uninstall it until it gets patched. Not worth it in my book.

BlindWrite is hands down my favorite of the bunch. With a good 2 sheep burner BW5 can blaze through all the current versions of SecuROM and SafeDisc up to 3.20. For SafeDisc 3.20.022 BW 4.57 works like magic - it even made a more accurate copy than A120 did for me. There's an outstanding app called BW5 Tweaker that allows you to fine tune your settings in BW5 for the best results.

If you're serious about backing up PC games I feel you can do no better than both versions of BW coupled with a Plextor Premium which happens to have a special write method made just for SecuROM that BW5 Tweaker can take advantage of. I've used this combination to make excellent copies of SafeDisc up to 3.20.022 and SecuROM up to 5.03 that require no emulation of any sort and verify just as quickly as the originals.

5. ACDCMain

ACDCMain Member

i was wondering same thing....i loved clone cd but i ran out of the trial :'( so .. i came searching for new program im going to go download blind write and burning proggy so i can try'em ... are they trial runs ? thanx for the help!