1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up a Backup

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Painless, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Painless

Painless Member

Can you copy/Backup a Backup that has been made using DVD X Copy ?

2. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

If I remember correctly, you can use any copy program to make a DVD x copy copy except for DVD x copy. Confused, I am!

Nero or any other program of that typw should do it.

3. Painless

Painless Member

Thanks i will give it a go , anything to get the kid away from my copy :) Hint to all " Dont have kid that love Star-Trek as much as you do" they will send you crazy..

4. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Yes you can backup a backup copy.
    Just copy the contents of the disc to your hard drive. Then burn with what ever is your favorite buring program.
    THis will work for every type of backup.

5. Painless

Painless Member

Just tried copying a Backup made with DVD X Copy Plat using Both Nero 6.3 & DVD Decrypter & both failed reading the disk when it got to 99%

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Do as I sugested. Don`t use a copy utility. Do as follows:
    1. Put original(the 1st backup) in DVD drive
    2. Open Windows explorer
    3. Select on DVD drive and copy the contents
    4. create a folder on you hard drive and paste the contents.
    5. open your favorite burning program and burn the files. (of course making sure you remove the previous disk and added a blank DVD)
    6. your done.

Sorry for the step by step, but I have been write Lab protocals all day.

Added () values as I can see someone else reading this making mistakes.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    I am not a number
    I am a Free Man[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2004
  7. Painless

Painless Member

Thanks for the Step by Step , I will try that right now ...

8. Painless

Painless Member

Nope :( didnt work got to 99% & just sat there , looks like Dvd X copy puts some kind of encrypted data on there backups so you can't copy em ... So its easier to copy an original than it is to copy a copy

What i was backing up : Startrek Voyager Season 1 disk 1 , DVD9 , X copy made a great compressed backup which looks & plays great but copying that backup seems impossible..

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  9. Pete391

Pete391 Member

Prisoner is 100% correct....Thats the way I do it and have no problems.....If yours gets to 99% and doesnt finish, its a problem on your end...Copies made with dvdxcopy will easily just drag and copy from the backup disc to your hard drive...

10. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

DVD X Rescue, which comes with Platinum will backup a copy made by XCopy. But why not just use original?

11. Painless

Painless Member

The kids put a mark on the outer 20% of disk 1 , so all i have left was my original backup , so would like to make a backup of that so the kids dont destroy all copys ... will look into Dvd rescue thanks..

12. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Sounds more like a problem with your burning software. What are you using to burn. The method I outlined treats the disc just like a regular data disk and it should work. Sounds more like the media your using is erroring at the end or you burning software is out caching at the end.

13. pudgy

pudgy Member

Its not a problem with your program..I understand that Xcopy puts a watermark on backups,their way of protecting the disc from being copied..I don't know if that can be cracked or not.

Sher

14. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

What?

I used DVDxCopy 1.5.2 the last release and DVDxCopy Platinum 3.1.1 and 3.2.1
    These programs just copy the movie information to your Hard drive, then you can burn it with any burning tool. I never use the DVDxCopy burning engine as it has problems with my burner. I have never had a problem, only time when I have its been the media.

15. Pete391

Pete391 Member

pudgy...

dvdxcopy DOESNT put anything on the disc to protect it from being re-copied....

16. Pete391

Pete391 Member

pudgy...

dvdxcopy DOESNT put anything on the disc to protect it from being re-copied....

17. kcc76

kcc76 Regular member

same happens for me i can backup with x copy but if i try to backup that copy it doesnt work so now i dont use it at all and i use ritek and pioneer 106 and the 107

18. pudgy

pudgy Member

Pete,
    Are you sure, I know I read that on this forum in the past.

Sher

19. aldav45

aldav45 Member

I heard that too, that DVD x-copy puts a watermark on the disc to prevent it being backed up again IN X COPY. but you can use other programs to backup the backup.

20. xbadboy2

xbadboy2 Regular member

I hear everyone say thet have problem backing up a copy made with 321 software. I just use the software that came with my burner Record now but I have copyed back ups with all that follow Express & Platinum 4.0.4.15 not RF any more. Shrink/decrypter and even Nero are you running msconfig and turing all start up programs before you start copying? I know this sounds funny but if I don't clean up all the spyware Platinum will freeze up on me. I know your lol but it dose.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. If you don't ask you will never know.[/small]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004