1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up a BBC DVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tkh51, Dec 19, 2003.

1. tkh51

tkh51 Member

I am aware of the three types of DVD-Copy protection, CSS, Macrovision and Region Coding. Now I have been doing a bit of backup work using my new superdrive and the program DVD Backup 1.3. So far so good, no problems with about six or seven different DVD's. Yet I tried to copy a BBC DVD over, and several of the .VOB's couldn't be decrypted. Namely the copyright warning at the begining and about three of the large 1024 GB files.

Is this a flaw in DVD Backup, or the DVD itself, or is their possibly more intense CSS encoding that DVD Backup can't get through?

If so, does anyone have any ideas for other Mac OS X related software that can get through this different encoding?

Thanks all.

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

CSS encoding is a type of encryption. As far as im aware, it is a constant algorithm, and therefore any update would not be called CSS. Since most software is DeCss, its more likely to be the software you are using causing the prblems. I have backed up many BBC DVD's including, Red Dwarf, Only Fools and Horses and The Blue Planet. Have you tried a program called DVD Shrink to rip and compress the files. Or if you prefer to use the program you have got, try using DVD Decrypter to rip the disc.

3. tkh51

tkh51 Member

Yeah, I guess it is a problem with the software. Yet DVD Decrypter seems to only be for Windows. Sorry to be fussy but it is the curse of all mac users.

Thanks again.

4. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya tkh51,

Sorry to hear you are having to use a mac <joking>.

A number of possibilities spring to mind:

as OSX is based on BSD, just about anything that will work on BSD will work on OSX (takes twiddling tho')

alternatively, have a look at:

http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/download3.html

for a choice of tools/methods.

Have Fun...

5. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

I believe that there is a mac dvd ripper called osex available here, that might work for you, alternately, if you really cannot get any mac program to rip your dvd, and you have a recent mac os, you could install windows onto your mac and thus use any windows program, like dvddecrypter etc. The only problem with this approach is that the windows emulator required to run windows on a mac would cause any windows installation to be quite slow...