1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up an already backed up disk

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jtigerr, Jan 23, 2005.

1. jtigerr

jtigerr Member

I was wondering, I backed up some dvds but I did it at the wrong write speed and now when I play them back it freezes or it just cant read the disk anymore. Now here is my question, can I use those "bad" dvd to make another copy, (one without the playback problems)
    Thanks

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Nope you cant. Put your orignal in and re-copy

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Unless you riped the DVD to your harddrive with a program and still have the riped DVD you could bring it back into your copy program. but if you did it rite off the disc then insert the DVD again and re-copy.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Sounds like a media problem. Like larrylje said, if you used some software that saves the files to you hdd eg: dvd shrink then yes you can useing your burn app. Sometimes a backup that will not play on your stand-alone player will play useing the drive that wrote the disc. If thats the case, then use an app like nero copy disc and burn it to a better quality proven media.

5. jtigerr

jtigerr Member

Thanks for all your help.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Mort
    The jtigerr's problem was solved, too fast on the write speed. larrylje covered the alternatives fairly well.

jtigerr
    The only alternative is burning new copies from a good source as was mentioned. Bad discs = bad source.

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Oh ok guess I was out of bounds. Tryin to help.

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Mort
    Not out of bounds. No way you could have known unless you'd seen the other threads. I just happened to catch them. They could have been incorporated. I won't go as far as saying double posting. It's about as close as you can come without doing it though. LOL

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Thanks for the info brobear, I thought maybe my bad.

10. nares213

nares213 Guest

so you can not with any program back up previously backed up disks even if they work fine?

11. hursty

hursty Active member

yes you can

12. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

if the discs work fine, then backup away. if the discs are freezing and have errors, get a new original and make a copy from that.
    Use decrypter iso read-iso write or nero copy disc to make a backup of a backup

13. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Decrypter will sometimes read a bad disc enough to get a second copy. I'm not saying it will work but worth a try. I would burn it to a RW just in case. It all depends on how bad the first copy really is.

Jerry

14. brobear

brobear Guest

I'd say when they're acting like that, it's time for a new backup from a good source and not the copy causing the problem.

15. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@nares213

You never asked if you could backup a good backup. Yes you can back up a good backup, but if the backup is freezing and skipping best solution for that is get the orignal DVD and back it up again with that.

16. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Backing up a GOOD copy is as simple as using any disc copy program you might have. Your first copy is already compressed and decrypted so any program will read it.

Jerry

17. brobear

brobear Guest

I'm starting to be amazed at how often "how do I copy a copy" pops up.

18. Gamerover

Gamerover Guest

i have the same problem backing up disc copys

19. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

what problem???if you already have a GOOD backup use it to make your copy. If you have a BAD backup use it as a coaster and use your original to make a copy

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Nero Express, part of the Nero suite, has Copy DVD. [bold]The name says it all.[/bold] Other recording suites, Roxio, CopytoDVD, and Pinnacle come to mind that have the same function.