1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up Big Fish

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by FoosJR, Feb 23, 2005.

1. FoosJR

FoosJR Member

I have tried several times to back up Big Fish, I get 37% analized with Shrink and it encounters a redundency error, I get 20% in file mode with decrypter and it gets errors, I am running AnyDvd in the background and this stillhappens. This is a first, is there some super encrytion here? Am I missing something simple?

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. gulliver

gulliver Regular member

I've had the same types of problems with certain movies. I'd try dvd shrink, get an error; nero, get an error; and then dvd decrypter, get an error. Though it's only happened to me a couple times, what I ended doing was downloading the trial version of clonedvd from http://www.download.com/ and it worked. give it a try.

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Not on that movie there isnt,but with AnyDvd running in the background you should have no trouble with big fish.So you must have, a dirty, scratched, or bad disc.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

It appears as if you may have a problem with the DVD you're trying to record. The freeware DVDInfoPro checks DVDs for errors. The icon with the magnifying glass opens the test. The errors should show up in the area on the graph corresponding to where the program stops on the disc.

As jim_dandy pointed out, a smudged or scratched DVD will cause the same problem. Clean and polish the disc with a soft cloth, old Ts work well. Scratches can sometimes be repaired with a tool like Skip Dr.

Anyone doing backups should have AnyDVD. I use it all the time. It's probably the best decryption tool available and it does especially well with processing unreadable sectors.

5. FoosJR

FoosJR Member

Big old nasty scratch! Seems obvious now. I got another newbie question, I posted it in the media section but it's probably so simple for some people that I got no answer on it. I am looking at using Taiyo Yuden discs that are 8x (somewhere I thought I saw that they are 1x - 8x but I'm not sure), my burner is 4x, does this matter?? I think it's fine but I'm a newbie.... any help would be great.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

No problem as long as your firmware is up to date (maybe even if it isn't). I've used 8X TY on 4X burners without any problems.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Forgot to mention, the mods don't like double posting. ;)

8. FoosJR

FoosJR Member

It looks like my firmware is up to date, I'll burn with confidence once the new discs arrive!

Thanks for the help.

-jim

9. brobear

brobear Guest

You're welcome.

10. Sickman1

Sickman1 Guest

I never had a problem with Big Fish. I got ahold of it last week sometime and put it in my burner and it did its thing. I always just go for the movie and cut the extra's out. i get tired of watching people get interviewed so whats the point? anyways...I just used the latest dvd shrink 3.2 and it worked flawlessly. Scratched or dirty perhaps...just clean it.

11. brobear

brobear Guest

Sickman1
    Appears FoosJR found his problem. As long as the scratch isn't all the way into the dye, he might be able to repair the disc. I saw a Memorex repair kit at the local Wal Mart for those tasks. I use a Skip Dr to take care of superficial scratches myself. Little scratches sometimes play okay, but after a certain point, they affect the playability of the DVD.