1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up DVD collection

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by josh2022, Feb 28, 2007.

1. josh2022

josh2022 Member

Over the weekend, My little cousins came over, and destroyed a few disks in my DVD collection, It was partially my fault since I should have put them away before they came, but it has really made me want to make backups of my collection just so something like this wont happen again.

I want to use copy a DL DVD to a SL Disk. I have been searching on google and I found Magic DVD Ripper and ImgBurner. It seems like they are the easiest to use.

My question is, When I am backing up my movies, Its a DVD9 disk - I am going to remove the extra features off the disk, The should take off a small chunk off the disk size(ofcourse I assume it will vary disk to disk) I do not want to loose and quality though really if I can help it, or minimal at most.

It seems that I have two or three options. My first option is just to backup the WHOLE disk, and burn it to 2 DVDs, I dont really want to do that but I may have to. The second way would be to take a small quality loss - On one DVD I tested, with no extras and no sub-tutles, It would back it up at a 80% quality percentage which I suppose isnt horrible, I do have a 65" HDTV Projection television though, I am afraid I will be able to notice it though.

My third option I was reading about on google.. I couldnt find much information about it, I might have been looking for the wrong thing though.. something about backing up the Movie on my computer, then converting it to MPEG4 format.. The one artical I was reading said that it could compress(?) it on to a dvd with only losing about 10% (or less) quality, instead of loosting the 20%(ish) or more from MPEG2 coding.

Is the above true? If so what program(s) would I need to do that. I dont have a large collection of DVDs so time wouldnt be THAT big of a factor. I also have a decent computer (Dual 2.13GHz Conros(E6400) CPU, 320GB SATA HDD, 2GB DDR2(PC5300) Ram..) Would it be worth the time to go through all that, or should I be happy with only losing about 20% quality?

I understand the best way to do this would be to buy DL disks, but I cant justify paying ~2 dollars a disk.

Any help would be great!

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Welcome to AD Josh2022,

Well you sound like you are pretty much on track with everything and a disk at 80% isn't usually that big of a deal as long as you are using good blank DVD media to burn it on. I to have a 60" TV and I can't tell a difference @ 80%. I usually end up pretty close if not at 100% because I only back up the main movie. The majority of users here will tell you to use RipIt4Me to backup your DVD's because this is the most reliable method out there right now, and I tend to agree :) I could go on and on about all of this, but to make it easy for you there have already been threads put in place to help you out along with some guides so do your self a favor and read through the thread in my signature called "newbies" it is very informitive and was compiled from a lot of the senior members here. Then you can take a look at some guides I have put together for users of AD the link is also in my signature. If you run into any problems or need a little help we are always glad to help you out.

Good luck

3. josh2022

josh2022 Member

Thankyou very much bbmayo. I am looking into RipIt4Me now. When I get home from class today, I am going to use that to Backup one DVD and burn it. I will then compare the quality. I am using Memorex DVD-R disks, I also have DVD+R Memorex disks, I read on another websites that DVD-R disks were better to use.

Thanks again for the links to guides also :-D

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well if you just do a little searching on here and read the "Newbie" link in my signature you will see that Memorex are one of the worst brand of disc you could possibly use. As far as the + or - goes it is all up to prefference really I have used both and seeing how every player in my house will play either I don't see any difference. The more important asspect to purchasing Blank media is what brand you are buying that is far more important than if it is + or -. Again this is all explained in that link in my sig or in the FAQ @ my website.

Cheers :)

5. 2colors

2colors Guest

If time is not importent you might want to take a look at Dvd Rebuilder. http://dvd-rb.dvd2go.org/ there is also a free version that works great.
    Edit
    You would still use RipIt4Me to get it a folder on your HD. Then open the VIDEO_TS in rebuilder.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2007
  6. josh2022

josh2022 Member

eek.. I just searched up my disks on Video Help(Through the link on your guide, great guide and website BTW. I am going to have fun reading that tonight ;)) -- Im not sure which are my exact disks, I see some got a "Good" rating but the majority was Poor or Mixed. Its kind of funny actually, My Aunt bought me a pack of 50 Staple Brand DVDs and looking at Video Help comments, it seems if they have gotten a better rating then my Memorex. I have a pack of 50 DVD-R and a pack of 20 DVD+R Memorex at my home, along with a pack of 50 DVD-R disks. I kind of hate to waste them, but I also dont want to experience problems a few months or so down the road with my backups.

Is the problem with Memorex disks how they are made, like for lasting a long time? Like for example: If I burn a DVD on to a Memorex disk, and it works fine.. should I have anything to worry about then? I guess what I am tring to ask is if the Memorex disks are made out of a cheaper material where a year down the road I need this backup disk is there a chance that it will not work anymore (I know its possible for all brands, but Is memorex more likely then then others?)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well to be perfectly honest with you, and I am probably going to get blasted for saying this :) If you are able to burn a good backup onto those Memorex discs with no skipping or freezing and you take care of them and store them correctly then those discs will probably last much longer than you will :) Just remember to get some better brand name disks the next time and anything is better than Memorex, but if your looking to get the best then Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim would be your best bet. So go ahead and give those discs a try it can't hurt seeing how you already have them, but if you still happen to have the receipt and haven't opened them I would strongly suggest changing them out with another brand this could save you some heartache.

Cheers

8. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Yes, even if u get lucky and it does burn successfully it is more than likely that it will not play or skip,pixelate,freeze down the road, and thats why 99% of the members at AD will not recommend Memerox becuz theres a good chance they will be CMC, MID coded.

Taiyo Yuden(Online) or Verbatims are the only two that i would recommend.

BTW u can even get the best media for the same price as the other crap

9. josh2022

josh2022 Member

Thankyou very much for the information bbmayo. Ill see how it goes with one of them tonight, The Memorex Disks are opened and about 6 Months old(Ive used a few of the DVD-R disks for data backups), so there really is no chance of me being able to return them. Tonight, when I burn my DVD and if its choppy or has graphical issues, Ill blame the DVD Media and order the brand you recommended to me. Its not that I dont want to buy the other Disks, it just I dont want to waste the disks I currently have.

Thanks again. I will post back later tonight with the good(hopefully) or bad news.

Just one more edit: Im on newegg looking now and I found These disks Is any type of Verbatim okay to use? I am seeing some good deals of 100 for about 20 dollars after a rebate.. That is a great deal If I have to get new disks. Also, the other suggested brand here has about the same price per 100 as the others.

EDIT: To 300bowler:

Thankyou for telling me that. If I do order new disks, I will order one of thoes two disks you recommended. You and bbmayo both said the same thing so they must be good disks :)

10. blake123

blake123 Guest

Yeah those are the best disk you can get.ive got disk from 4 years ago that still play with no pixelation or skips using tys.i dont buy memorex because they dont play on my players. if you do use the memorex disk burn them at 4x.

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Josh,

I would go with the Taiyo Yuden if I where you, but you can actually do better on prices check out these sites.
    Supermediastore.com – Rated number 1 just about anywhere you look.
    Rima.com – Fast and cheap good service
    Mertline.com – Quality media

I do all of my computer shopping from newegg and I love them but when it comes to media I get most of mine from SupermediaStore or Mertline. Here are TYs for $26 for 100 ea TaiyoYuden These stores just have a bigger selection and most of the time better prices. I am using Verbatims right now, but only because they have light scribe and TY doesn't :-( I preffer the TY's anyday though.

Cheers

12. josh2022

josh2022 Member

Thankyou again bbmayo. Since the other disks are so cheap, I think I am just going to order them so i dont have problems in the future, Ill use my other disks for Data backups. I have been using Memorex disks for a long with for backups without any issues. I was actually supried to see that they wernt good for dvd burning, I always thought that they were good burning media.

13. josh2022

josh2022 Member

Just a followup,

I followed your instructions at your website with using RipIt4Me, DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter.. etc. It went flawlessly, I ended up getting the movie to 97.3% quality which I thought was great. I am watching the backed up movie now, Ive been watching it for about 5 minutes and everything is going very smoothly and the quality looks great. I cant even tell the difference so far

14. stutz10k

stutz10k Guest

Where were you able to find the best deal on Verbatims and which ones that support light scribe? I am only buying light scribe discs right now as well

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@ Josh,

Glad to see you got it working :)

@ Stutz,

I usually just get my Verb's from supermediastore.com, but once in a while you can find a good deal at a brick and mortar store, and if I see them I grab them up. I just bought 60 (2x30) from supermedia and the total for both spindels after rebate was less than $20 for both, but I looked now and the rebate is no longer there so they are going for $22 for one spindel of 30 now (I should have bought more). I would suggest you just look around if you are getting ready to buy some as each place seems to have different prices at different times.

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007