1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up website to cd rw

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by jp7, May 7, 2005.

1. jp7

jp7 Member

I have built a website using Web Studio 4.0 maybe you have heard of it. This is my problem, my computer is a Gateway 1.8 gigahertz 256 megs of ram. Disk space used is about 20 percent so I have plenty of space. The problem is that I have been building this website to host soon it has been slowing my computer down to the point that I can't even edit and do anything to my website. This is making nuts. I know I need to increase ram to 512 mb but I shouldn't have this problem as I have talked to many in the computer world. My website is about 450 mb and someone told me I should back it up on a cd rw disk which is smart this I new in case of lost data to my hard drive, but they also said I could edit and work my website and resave information. But it won't let me resave data. The idea was to save my website on a cd rw and take the website file off my hard drive so I won't use memory, and totally do my edit and revisions to my site on the disk and resave current data or work I have done to my website. But it won't let me save to the disk and the computer ask me to save it to my documents where I have no choice, and there it is back on my hard drive. What am I doing wrong, could anyone help me I feel so lost. I just wanted to make things easier for me a free up all the memory I am using I do have a lot of graphics on my website.

Is this possible to do, to work strictly from the disk and save it with ease with out bothering myself to saving it in my documents and then rewriting the files again to the cd rw seems like to much to do. Is there a solution.

In the old days when you backed up data to a floppy use just shoved it in and resaved to your floppy why not with a cd rw. Thanks JP

Last edited: May 7, 2005
  2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

What you are talking about requires you to use Nero InCD or Roxio DirectCD (packet writing?). I think Windows XP uses a version of DirectCD already, but I haven't used any of these in years (because DVD media will backup 6 times as much). What you're doing right now is basically burning a copy on a CDRW. You only can add to it until it is full. Then you will have to erase/format it and burn again. If you use something like Nero InCD, you can use your CDRW like a floppy, but it is only usable on a PC with Nero InCD installed. That's why I don't even bother with it.

3. jp7

jp7 Member

Dogbomb, thanks for your reply, you are exactly right that is what I am doing and don't want to bother doing that anymore. I will have to check the info you have share about the Nero InCD and Roxie direct CD I don't know if this is a possibility. I think I am just going to expand my memory I have two more memory slots so I will have to break down and buy 512 mb. Thanks jp7