1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up XBox DVDs onto DVD using PC only

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Wombat1, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Wombat1

Wombat1 Guest

Hi folks, I have tried to find this info on this site, but haven't been able to find a difinitive answer. I am trying to copy Xbox DVDs using only the PC. I have tried a few different programs with no success (I think it has something to do with the multisession appearance of Xbox DVDs). Is there a way to do this or do I need to use the Xbox to read the original? I have an Xbox version 1.5 with the latest Evolution mod chip. Also, I am having trouble trying to FTP with the box, but I will persist with that before I ask for too much.
    Thanks
    Wombat.

OK, managed to get the network running and have now backed up my C and E Drives. Now in the process of copying all the files from a DVD in drive D to my HD on the PC. Can I create a data type DVD from the files or do I need to make an ISO first? If so, what would you suggest I use to create the ISO then burn it?
    Thanks again_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Always in it, only the depth varies[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2003
  2. Scot

Scot Regular member

You can burn a data disk in UDF mode, but I recommend making your files into and .iso with Craxtion, GDF Image. Your iso will load much faster than making a data disk.

3. Wombat1

Wombat1 Guest

Thanks Scot. I'll try a DVD-RW (or + if the - fails). Is there a way of copying using the PC alone? All the software I have tried only read the video track.

4. Scot

Scot Regular member

Nope original xbox dvd's can only be read by the xbox dvd drive not the pc, you will only get video if you try to copy it.

Now if it was a backup game then yes you can make a 1:1 copy of it if it was made in .iso format. http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index....15130&hl=onetoonebackup&view=findpost&p=94251

If the game was burned in UDF then you can open it up in your pc and reburn or alter as you choose.

If you want to copy the original then you have to ftp the contents of the xbox d: to your pc, create your iso file, patch your iso (you can skip this step if your bios is new)older bios will require you to patch your games for media protection. Burn your iso with record now max.

5. Wombat1

Wombat1 Guest

Brilliant, it is all starting to make sense now.. I am in the process of creating the ISO using Craxtion (Norton AV didn't like the script but I overrode it). What is the best program for burning the ISO back to a DVD?

6. Scot

Scot Regular member

Simple all you will have to do is open up record now max, close the wizard that pops up, select the image tab on top, choose your recorder, browse to your iso and select it (you need to click the little pull down to change the extention from gi to iso) then hit burn. That is it.

Here is a link to a free 30 day trial if you need it.

http://downloads.stompinc.com/files/stpRNM450e_STPD.exe

7. Wombat1

Wombat1 Guest

Scot, you've been great. I've just successfully burnt my first DVD backup!! Oddly enough, Record Now wouldn't recognise my DVD Burner (saw the CDRW and the 2 virtual drives) so I used Nero 6 without a hitch. Thanks for your help.

8. Scot

Scot Regular member

Good to hear!!!!! I never had that problem with RCMax, but if nero worked then great, I like nero better but it gives me inconsistent results with my burns. If you have more than one drive in your pc, you have to deselect one drive to select the other, just something to look at when you get time.

Once again good uck on your backups, and if ya need anything else let me no!! Cheers!!