1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backing up xbox games

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by zer0c00l, Nov 9, 2004.

1. zer0c00l

zer0c00l Member

I have read that in order to create a proper backup of your xbox game you need to copy it to the xbox HD and then burn. Yet on other sites I find that some people think you can just do a direct copy. Which is true? I just received my copy of Halo 2 from EB and I want to back it up so I can play the backups and not worry about scratching them. The originals look sooooo nice, mmmmmmmm metal boxes.

2. Chex21

Chex21 Guest

Ok, well, both are wrong. The only ways (that I know atleast) are to put the original in the game and FTP your xbox to your pc (by crossover cable or a router and ethernet cable) the once the files are on your pc you will be able to make a .iso of the game and burn that .iso. To be able to make the iso just use craxtion and select the folder with all the files from the game.

The second way is to get an application called DVD2Xbox (can be downloaded) and burn that to a cd (or FTP it to your xbox). Once you have that on your xbox you can just put in the original game and select a drive on your xbox harddrive (mine is E:\) and then it will copy the files from the original cd and put the files in the drive you selected.

Hope this helps! Good Luck.

3. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

Hi
    theres other apps u can use to backup to your xbox hdd, I use PxHddloader ( I prefere it cos you can also delete the game very easy from the xbox hdd, and you dont have to select the path where you want to save it, makes it reallllll easy)
    theres also Complex tools which is quite good.
    The ONLY I repeat ONLY!!! way to make a backup is what you just previously read. Connect your xbox to a pc, via a network, ie crossover cable (direct) or via a hub or router with standard cat5.
    Flash fxp is the ftp client of choice, username xbox pass xbox (if you are using an unaltered evox etc)
    if you are backing up original xbox games then they need patching and the iso creating, using programs like qwix or craxtion (I prefer qwix)
    then once the iso is created, burn to a dvd that your xbox can read (ie sony oem dvd-r,get em on ebay, I use them and they read on ALL versions of xbox dvd drive)
    occasionally you may have to delete bits out if a game goes over 4.3gb or so, so as to allow room on the dvd.
    check out xbox-scene.com for full backup help, lots of good tutorials.
    or pm me if you need help,Ill be glad to help u
    just remember that if anyone says you can direct backup your xbox games with just a pc and copy software, theyre completely wrong, cannot be done
    you will get 30mb or so, and a coaster

4. zer0c00l

zer0c00l Member

sweet you guys are awesome thank you so much. I will be installing my dvd burner today and I will probably go through my router to the xbox. I will read the tutorials instead of bothering you with more questions. But I am sure I will screw something up along the way. By the time that happens it will be "after dawn"

thanks again, I will post my problems here...(unless they are of a different topic)

5. zer0c00l

zer0c00l Member

I have another question...I understand why you need to FTP in to the xbox in order to get the full game, but why can't you just drag everything from the xbox D drive in to the blank dvd on your pc?