1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Copy plays in CD-Rom but not DVD player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bigbuster, Dec 14, 2003.

1. bigbuster

bigbuster Member

I have burned a number of disks successfully. For some reason I have now burned a couple using the same media that will play on the computer but not my stand alone DVD player. I have been using decrypter, shrink and nero 6.0. I am wondering if the disks are not being finalized and how I can go about checking that or doing it. I am unsure how to do it on Nero or any of the other programs.
    Thank you

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

bigbuster,

1. You don’t have to use Decrypter if you are using DVDShrink, Shrink does it when you hit "Open disk".

2. Me thinkin’ it's a media problem - check your owner’s manual to see if your discs are compatible. If you are using DVD-RW's - RW's generally don't work on standalones.

"P"

3. bigbuster

bigbuster Member

I am using DVD+R Verbatim which Plextor says is compatable. How can I check if the DVD has been finalized
    Thanks

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

bigbuster,

Nope, media is fine, no doubt !

Query ?
    1. Are you closing Nero's Wizard ?

2. When using new compilation, are you choosing
    DVD-Video ?

Doing that you should be home cool -
    Nero takes care of that finalizing
    stuff for you -

Hope you've got it now -

"P"

5. bigbuster

bigbuster Member

Hi,
    I thought I used the wizard and followed each step but perhaps I did not. I did use the DVD tab on Nero.
    I reburned the DVD's using 4times rather than the 8times and the DVD's came out ok, guess I just need to slow it down.
    Thanks for the suggestions

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

bigbuster,

DON'T USE THE WIZARD !

Use new compilation.

I burn at 2.4X most of the time and by-pass that "coaster" problem.

To keep a handle on your work try this little trick -

HINT: I created a folder on my HD named "DVD Work" and before ripping my DVD’s I create another sub-folder with the name of the movie I'm backing up. (I.e. DVD Work\Starship Troopers.) When you click "Backup" in DVDShrink, a box will come up saying "Target Folder:” click "Browse" and trace your path back to "DVD Work\Starship Troopers" - when DVDShrink is finished, it will give you your VIDEO_TS folder already made for you in your DVD Work\Starship Troopers folder and you’re good to go. Now, if you wish, you can burn it days down the road. At one point I had 23 movies sitting there, just waiting for my shipment of blank DVD media to arrive.

When you wish to burn, use the "File Browser" in Nero (don’t use Wizard) to trace your path back again to DVD Work\Starship Troopers, you don’t have to try to remember where your work is or if you need to do anymore work on it, it is completely finished, ready to go – you are done and done –

Let me know how you made out,
    "P"

7. bigbuster

bigbuster Member

I think I am doing what you suggested, I open Nero, go to the one that says Make A DVD-Video, a screen comes up with Audio TS and Video TS, I put the Video TS in the box and then bring the saved files over and insert them into the screen and away I go.

I have a 2nd hard drive and that is where I have been saving them and like you create a seperate file for each one. On a number of my DVD's I don't like to compress them so I have been using DVD-FAB for those and DVD-Shrink for where I am ok with the compression. What program are you using when you want all the menus and bonus footage?
    Thanks again for your help

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

bigbuster,

The screen sounds right, click the VIDEO_TS in the far left screen (that will empty the screen next to it). Use the browser in the third form the left to locate your ripped file (it will show up in the right screen) you then click the top file, hit "shift" and hit the bottom file in the right screen highlighting all the files, then click and drag all the files to the empty screen, the one second from the left.

You are then good to go. You will have all your menus, trailers etc. then BURN BABY BURN, WHO'S YOUR DADDY NOW -

Burning takes a lot of resources so have that cup of coffee and come back when it's toasted.

As far as what program ? I u se DVDShrink for those under 4.3GB AND for those over, makes no never mind -

DVD Fab is OK but you don't have to use it -

I think that the trouble you experienced was because you moved just a single file over when using Shrink not all of them.

When you move all of them, you'll have your menus too -

Go do it to it -

"P"

9. bigbuster

bigbuster Member

thanks for your help