1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Large file (2G+) to DVD

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by enguyen, Apr 5, 2005.

1. enguyen

enguyen Member

Hi,

Does anyone know how to backup large iso file (2G+) to DVD?

I have serveral iso files larger than 2G and would like to copy them to DVD to save HD space (without extraction, just data file). I was able to burn these files to DVD successfully (Using UDF). However, when I put the DVD in the DVD-drive, 99% of the times Windows XP said the Disc is corrupted and other time works just fine!

I am wondering if anyone knows how to copy those large iso files to DVD for later use. What I am trying to do is to save those iso files to Disc (DVD) then later I can use it and burn it from one Disc to another Disc without re-packing the DVD back to ISO again.

Thanks!

2. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Generally a standard dvd is 4.38 GB. I don't see why you can't back them up (depending how many .iso you want on the disc.)

3. enguyen

enguyen Member

Yes it would fit perfectly fine in the DVD since the DVD is much larger than 2G+. However nero and other software I have such as roxio have trouble burning file larger than 2G to DVD. Again, it burn the file fine but when you try to read from the DVD, windows XP said that the DVD is corrupted (99% of the times). So, I have to keep trying to insert the Disc into its drives hundred of times. And by luck I got it read! I think there should be a better way to back such file to DVD. I did some search on google and found the same problem posted by other people as well and no solution. The best solution I got was using UDF (which I did -- but it's the same thing).

4. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

Roxio and Nero don't get along too well. I would suggest uninstalling Roxio and see what happens.

5. vixen76

vixen76 Member

This is just a suggestion...... Maybe u could try burning your ISO with DVD Decrypter.. I have had a few problems using Nero to burn my ISO's but no problem with DVD Decrypter..

6. punqewe

punqewe Active member

dvd decrypter or alcohol 120% are the best for images I found

7. enguyen

enguyen Member

Thanks Quadratic!
    I think you are right about roxio and nero don't get along. I formatted my PC and re-installed nero alone and the discs seem to work fine! .....

others,
    DVDDecrypter and alcohol120% do not burn data file, they extract the iso. Thanks for your help any how!

8. tenplus1

tenplus1 Member

On occasion I will backup a file larger than 2gb and do 1 of the following:

1. Use a free .avi splitter to make the file into 2 equal parts.
    2. .zip the file (store only) and expand over 2-3 files.

9. punqewe

punqewe Active member

@enguyen- alcohol 120% and dvd decrypter burn iso's. Since the going census is that nero has problems with multiple iso's on one disk (which I have had a few corupted images from it myself) I was sugesting that he backup the files the proper way. AND with the easiest and most foolproof way.

I would stake my reputation on it.

10. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

I think reformatting your computer solved the problem. I've had Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 and Nero on the same computer and have had no problems.