1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem backup not recognized

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by kookie56, Apr 16, 2016.

1. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

I had to do a full system recovery on my desktop computer.
    HP model p6774y
    windows 7 home premium
    Before I did the system recovery, it asked me if I wanted to make a backup of my files. I said yes and proceeded to put it on a portable hard drive (as told by sys. recovery)
    Then I did the full system recovery.
    However, when I try to use my backup, it tells me I don't have one.
    There is a backup folder (Backup Files 2016-04-15 225451), but the computer won't recognize the backup file.
    What is the problem? Without this backup file, I lose all my previous items from before.
    Is there anything that can be done to get these files?
    I would appreciate any help.
    Thank you

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Back will only be read by whatever program created it.Even if the backup is a certain size it doesn't mean there 's data in it.You need to browse the backup & see what's there if anything assuming you used an imaging software.

Mez likes this.
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

had that problem before with a customer's computer, had to use same windows version to recover that backup.

4. kookie56

kookie56 Regular member

When you open HP computer's recovery program. It tells you it is best to create a backup. It then asks where to put the backup (including a portable hard drive). I said yes to the question and created the backup on a portable hard drive using that program.
    I assumed I would then be able to retrieve the items once the computer was fully restored.
    Since I used the computer's backup method, why can I not open it?
    Please help.
    Thank you

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

did you try that recovery program to recover your files?

6. Mez

Mez Active member

Statistically, 50% of backups fail. This is because what ever screwed up your C: screws up your backup. The successful 50% is due to hard work. You spot check your backups, you keep more than one version so if your computer goes bad but hasn't crashed yet, you have a backup from when your computer was still healthy.

The last time I checked you could get WD and Seagate copies of Acronis for free. For these to work you need a WD or Seagate disk attached to your computer. If you make a bootable CD you can always recover your data. I check to insure the backup looks good before I rely on it as a real back up. I keep multiple versions. One bare bones, (new out of the box) no software added. Another after I added all my software like MS office. Then maybe a monthly current backup.