1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backup of DV without loss of quality

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by borup, Jul 25, 2003.

1. borup

borup Member

I have grabbed 1 hour DV video which accounts for a size of 14GB!!. I would like to make an backup onto DVD+R which I can easily access later (i.e. not on tape), and of course I can't accept any loss of quality which I suppose means no conversion to the DVD-format. But 1 DVD is not even 5 GB.
    1) Is there someway to compress lossless
    2) How do I split more than 5GB onto more DVD's

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

1) DV contains uncompressed PCM audio which could be losslessly compressed using e.g. monkey's audio. The video stream is already lossy compressed so you can compress a few % away at best using something like RAR or 7-Zip. There's no way to fit 1 hour DV lossless compressed to 1 DVD-R(W).

2) What works for sure would be capturing 20 minutes at once 3 times so you would end up with 3 files < 5GB. You could try splitting with VirtualDub; you probably need some DV codec (e.g. Panasonic) for this. If you want to try this you can find helpful information here: http://forum.doom9.org/forumdisplay.php?s=316af8ba1dc038a2ef1216d6d470784c&forumid=59
    (sticky threads).