1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup plays in PC but skips on TV

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by CJK440, Jul 29, 2007.

1. CJK440

CJK440 Member

I made a few backups of DVD's using Rip it 4 me. I realize its been shut down but the backup plays perfectly fine on the burner that made it but when put in my LG player to view it on TV the image and sound skips.

I'm using HP DVD+R and have done a bunch of backups on this media that worked fine.

The DVD in question is The Hills Have Eyes 2.

Any insight??

2. attar

attar Senior member

Most problems are caused by bad media.
    HP brand is often made by CMC - and CMC DVD's are often poor quality.
    Lower the burning speed to 4x, or try 'Verbatim'.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  3. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Most problems are caused by incompatibilities with a drive and a disc, not by "bad media." CMC makes Verbatim, too; so the argument that it is CMC must be qualified.

If the disc plays perfectly well on the burner, then one must look to the LG player to see if it is involved with the problem. (A burner ought to be able to read the disc it wrote, but that does not necessarily mean that the recording is a good one.) If the HP discs have worked well on the LG player in the past, you may need to make another recording on another disc to see if some random change caused a problem with the recording on the disc that does not work. Transfer the files from the disc to the hard drive and try again. If it works the second time, then you may have to write it off as one of those unknowns that pops up now and then.

4. attar

attar Senior member

Attar:
    Joe:
    It is qualified inasmuch as it isn't explicit.
    If I said 'HP=Poor Quality', I would be guilty of pontificating on that which I have no direct insight.
    That notwithstanding, the Forums at Afterdawn are strewn with references to failures in burning DVD's and very often the suggested remedy is to replace CMC with Verbatim.
    I seldom see the opposite, either because CMC are indeed poor quality - which seems likely - or there is an unspoken rule to push sales of Verbatim - which would be risable.

5. Berryone

Berryone Regular member

Try adusting the Target Area to 4300 mb in Shrink Preferences.
    Burn at 1/2 the rated speed of the Disc
    Get those CMC VERBATUMs

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  6. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

...or drives have firmware properly set for the MCC code while it is lacking for CMC. This is typical of early edition drives from Japanese brands. They add CMC suppport in updates, but the damage has already been done.