1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BackUp prob - dirty disk error

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Twolips, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Twolips

Twolips Member

Sorry to ask a silly question BUT, I was making a backup of my origianl FINDING NEMO (full screen) dvd using DVD shrink with the Nero 6 engine, everything looked like it was fine, i unchecked french and spanish so the disk was a bit smaller and it looked like it copied to the DVD-R just fine... I put it in my Sony DVD player and all the previews worked fine and it gets to the MENU and i hit play and the dvd player stops and a error comes ont he TV saying Dirty disk.. Did i do something wrong, (maybe bad disk), unchecking french and spanish language in the shrink menu affect this?????
    Any help would be good

2. Twolips

Twolips Member

nobody??????

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

If there are no marks or scratches on the dvd then I would think its a bad disc. What brand media are you using? Unchecking the other language tracks won't cause that problem.

Jerry

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Twolips
    If you used Shrink with the normal default settings, that means the temp file you burned the disc from is now gone. So you can't check your source file.

The first thing you need to check is the original DVD for scratches. It's also a good idea to clean any disks before recording, if you aren't already. If the original disk is suspect of having write flaws, you can use the free download of DVDInfoPro. It's a great tool for checking discs, blank and written. You can even check your blanks if you suspect a problem with them.

Skip Dr or a similar tool can remove superficial scratches from discs. Many stores including Wal Mart carry these tools. Skip Dr works best for me.

BTW, what media are you using and in what format; i.e. Verbatim +R? Also, make sure there are no prints, smugs, or scratches on the media to be recorded.

Just so you retain the source file in this case, use DVD Shrink to transcode the file to the hard drive. With everything clean, try using Nero Express to record the hard drive file you created and see if you get the same problem. Use the option to check the file after burning. That lets you know if the disc is recorded exactly the same as the source file. I don't know if your standalone supports RW discs or not. If it does, using an RW wastes less media while checking out problems.

Does the disc you recorded before play on your PC viewer? If the PC won't play the DVD, then you can use the RW to record another to see if your problem is cured before recording a disc to play on the standalone.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2004
  5. Twolips

Twolips Member

Thanks Jerry and Brobear,

the media is cicerio DVD-R..

The dvd are brand new, and this could be the problem ill have to check that tonight, I have some extra dvd-rw media ill try. I tried to burn another copy last night and everything was going good, it got to 100% in the usual amount of time for most full dvd, but it stopped right there for 15 minutes and i had to restart the machine to get the dvd door open..
    i put it in the dvd player(that plays all media and types) and it would play anything.
    NEMO isnt worth all the hassell of having a backup of it. But know its just a new project i have to master.

6. brobear

brobear Guest

What is the model PC you're using, the type CPU and speed, amount of RAM, hard drive size and amount of free space, and the operating system?

You might want to try another brand of media; something along the lines of Ritek, Ricoh, or Verbatim (intended for video recording).
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2004
  7. Twolips

Twolips Member

Thanks brobear, once again chalk it up to crap media

bought some new Maxell dvd+r and it works beauty.....

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Glad it was a simple remedy. Maxell +R is a Ricoh manufactured disc, good stuff. Some of the -R is questionable. I won't go into it much here. Let's just say you'll get consistent quality from the +R and a 50/50 chance at the top media with -R; -R is manufactured by Mitsubishi (good) and Hitachi Maxell(questionable).

Hope all continues to go well.

Regards,
    Brobear