1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup problem with Imageburn and DVD Shrink

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Wes13, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Wes13

Wes13 Member

Hey, hopefully someone can help me out. I've searched these forums and can't find anyone with the same problem as me.

Using: ATAPI DVD DD 2X16X4X16 Firmware version G7Z9

First off, I use DVD Shrink to backup my DVDs to my hardrive for burning. This process has recently taken up to an hour to do when it used to do it in 20-25 minutes. No clue on why this is happening.

Secondly, I use Imageburn to create an ISO file for the burning process. This works fine, but when I go to burn, the process starts, goes for about 5-10 minutes and then just hangs. I get no error messages or anything. I've let it hang for up to 2 hours to see if anything will happen and nothing does. Also, this causes everything that I burn with to freeze. My computer does not freeze up, just the Imageburn and everything related to my drive. I cannot eject the disk and I have to do a hard shutdown on my computer to get the newly acquired "drink coaster" out of the drive.

I have also tried to copy the DVD/ISO with Sonic RecordNow and the same thing happens with that.

Can anyone of you smart computer people help me out? It will be greatly appreciated. Boy do I feel dumb....

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi.

Have you checked to make sure your burner is still in DMA transfer mode and has not reverted to PIO transfer mode. This will cause a slowdown of the I/O. See this guide for help:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/260038

I think the drive you have is a branded I/O Magic drive, but under the cover is a BenQ 1620A. You have the latest I/O magic firmware as far as I can tell from the firmware database. There doesn't seem to be anything newer related to BenQ OEM firmware either as far as I can tell at a quick glance.

What media are you using? Do you know the manufacturer/disk ID? Place one of the disks you're using into your burner and load ImgBurn. On the righthand ImGburn window, there's a line header entitled "Disk ID:". Post back the Disk ID shown.

At what speed are you attempting to burn?

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I would do what laddyboy has suggested and make sure your drive is in DMA mode and not fallen in PIO mode.

Below is an image on how to find the manufactures ID# as laddyboy has suggested...

[​IMG]

Why are you creating an ISO with IMGBurn? Have DVDShrink output an ISO so all you need to do is burn the ISO with IMGBurn instead of creating 1 from the VIDEO_TS folder. You can do this by setting the option to make an ISO then just burn the ISO with IMGBurn. Or you can set up DVDShrink to autoburn with Nero or DVD Decrypter if you happen to have 1 of those programs.

[​IMG]

4. Wes13

Wes13 Member

Here is the info from ImageBurn. I have used these same DVD-Rs before with no problem. Also, I'm in the middle of checking the DMA. I will report back in a few.

ATAPI DVD DD 2X16X4X16 G7Z9 (ATA)
    Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:
    Erasable: No
    Free Sectors: 2,298,496
    Free Space: 4,707,319,808 bytes
    Free Time: 510:48:46 (MM:SS:FF)
    Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x

Pre-recorded Information:
    Manufacturer ID: CMC MAG. AM3

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
    Book Type: DVD-R
    Part Version: 5
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
    Number of Layers: 1
    Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
    Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 0
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You are using 4th Class media from what DigitalFAQ guide says.

4th class media on their site is described as...

[​IMG]

It is recommended to use 1st Class media for Video backup. (Verbatim/Taiyo Yuden's) Below is a link to the media guide I referred to...

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

So please take or advice and get better media.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  6. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi.

CMC Magnetics media is crap for the most part. It's truly one of the low cost, low quality manufacturers which is why so many companies rebrand their stuff I guess. Good quality media is made by Verbatim, Taiyo Yuden, and Fuji and Sony labeled as made in Japan. It can be purchased for the same price as the crap media when on sale.

If you're trying to burn this at too high a speed, you'll likely run into problems as well.

This is 16X media. Given your burner is older and its firmware is not being updated for the newer media means trouble with a capital T may be coming down the road. When your burner's firmware doesn't have a write strategy in its lookup table for a particular media, it either refuses to start a burn or reverts to a default write strategy. Either way you're likely to run into problems. Look for some 8X media. There's quite a bit around, expecially Sony 8X. Your burner may like it better.

7. Wes13

Wes13 Member

Thanks for the heads up on the disks. I guess I have about 80 pieces of junk laying here now.

I fixed the DMA thing and I just burned 3 DVDs, so all is good for now.

Off to find a good CD ripper....

Thanks for all the help people!!

8. brisk345

brisk345 Guest

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@brisk345

what does a data backup program have to do with burning an ISO or video file to DVD? The above program is good for storing and copieng data to disc but that will not help in this case. In anycase I will stick to Nero when I have to make a data CD/DVD.