1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Protected game

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Jay05, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Your burner isn't EFM capable which means you're not going to be able to make a working copy of the game so your best bet is going to be Alcohol 120% and it's emulation options.

To give you a better understanding of what I'm talking about I'll explain a couple things. Unlike burning DVDs where the protection is stripped out, burning protected PC games involves having to read the protection then write it back to the disc - both of which need to be done very accurately. Not all burners are able to write the protections accurately enough to make a working copy......

When you try to run a protected game it needs to perform a "handshake" of sorts between the disc and the game on your hard drive to verify that the disc is legitimate. If the protection is written back to the disc accurately enough it'll pass the handshake and you have what's known as a "working" copy – one that doesn't need emulation to run. If the copy is less than perfect the handshake will fail because the copy protection will detect that there's something fishy with the copy. In that case you can use emulation tools which basically help the disc pass the handshake process.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2005
  2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

how ya doin -Jay05-

Well Empires dawn of the modern world seems to be Safedisc V3.10.20 protected, lets see if we can get you going with Alcohol 120%.

Since I see that your running the notebook select Image Making Wizard with AL120%, with your Read Speed select 4x, check the boxes that say Skip read errors and Fast skip error blocks (Not every device supports this function) leave the rest unchecked, at the bottom select your Datatype to Safedisc 2/3, click Next and on the next screen click on Start, your image will start dumping and you will get alot of disc read errors--> this is normal.

Once your image is done select Image Burning Wizard you might have to browse where your image was dumped to..should be a folder in your C: drive named Alcohol 120 then Next, form there select your Write Speed to 4x, leave everything else the way they are but make sure your Datatype is selected the same as the protection which is Safedisc 2/3, click Start and off you go.

once your imgage is done cooking pop it in and see if you can play the backup hopefully with out emulation but if you do post back we will set you up....very easy fix.

3. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I'll try what you told me geestar but Nephilim tells me that it wouldn't work... Oh well, it doesn't hurt to try... thanx for da info and if I find probs I'll reply ASAP Thanx for all your time

4. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Negative...he said you will probably need emaulation with Alcohol.

Re-read -Nephilim- post

Thats what Alcohol does for you.. "The Hand Shake" so you can play the game, with out "The Hand Shake" emulation enabled you will not be able to play the game . Your disc tray will say "NEED EMULATION" when you have your backup in.

And as I said "very easy fix"

5. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I think I have an alternative. Do you think it'll work if I burn the image file (*.ccd because it's alcohol ripped) to a cd-r, not buring using the image wizard, but just dragging the files and putting them in a data cd. You know what I mean. So when I re insert the cd, I only see the images on the data cd I just created, then I just copy it to a location and emulate it using daemon tools or alcohol like nephilim said. You think that'll work? (I really don't want to give out my original, not after what he's done...)
    Thanx for your time

6. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Dont know about your alternative [​IMG]

You can use Alcohols virtual drives to play without the disc and run the game from your HD that way you don't have to use the disc at all , daemon tools is also a really great program but I would stick with AL120 virtual drives for now.

In order for you to use any virtual drives the game must be installed first, but im sure you know that [​IMG]

Follow these instructions that I posted from the previous post,

Since I see that your running the notebook select Image Making Wizard with AL120%, with your Read Speed select 4x, check the boxes that say Skip read errors and Fast skip error blocks (Not every device supports this function) leave the rest unchecked, at the bottom select your Datatype to Safedisc 2/3, click Next and on the next screen click on Start, your image will start dumping and you will get alot of disc read errors--> this is normal.

when the image is done right click on the new image and select mount image and there you go.