1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups not playing!!

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by jpdub, Jun 20, 2007.

1. jpdub

jpdub Member

Curious if anyone has this issue. I have a movie that cannot play in my magnavox dvd plyer, the message simply states "cannot play this dvd", if I try and play it in my pioneer, I get the audio, but the video looks like the horizontal is out of whack, The frames just scroll up the screen and you can't view the video. However, on my PC they play fine. Tried to use decrypter, dvdfab, and shrink. It seems to complete fine but I always get the cannot play and the screwy video.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Is this a DVD that you ripped to the HDD, and ran through Shrink.
    What speed did you burn on what brand of media.

3. jpdub

jpdub Member

i think i have it solved. playing with it and it looks like it's a PAL format. So one player rejects it, the other I get the horizontal issue. Following one of the posts to convert it to NTSC and see if that works.

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

yes the PAL or NTSC issue can do this........ but there are other factors that could do this as well:

there are plenty of reasons why certain dvds won't play in other players:

1. burning speeds: burn at 4x so there will be less writing errors (rule of thumb is to burn at half the rated speed of the disk--8X disk burn at 4x).
    2. read manual for your stand alone player and use the disks that will play in your player. If your player is less than 2 yrs old then it should play the + or - R disks! I said SHOULD that's why you read the manual.
    3. try booktyping your drive to DVd-ROM so it will make your +R disks more compatible to players. Read this:
    http://k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    4. make sure that there are no finger prints or scratches on your disk that make it hard for the player to read the disk!
    5. use good quality media (rule of thumb....buy the ones that are Made in Japan.) Verbatim is a top notch disk and is the only exception to this rule....some Verbatims are made in Taiwan and they are top notch!
    6. and don't burn too close to the outer edge of the disk ..... which will make the disk unreadable! but using good media you will be able to burn close to the edge better than lesser quality media. Just in case I only burn no closer than 4400MB, so if you can set your programs to that, all the better!

but it does sound like you have a PAL or NTSC issue. if the conversion doesn't fix your problem then follow the advice above!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007