1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backups not reading

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by phoenixmg, Sep 2, 2013.

1. phoenixmg

phoenixmg Regular member

I've been backing up some movies lately and they won't play on any player so far. They read as being there when I put a disc in a computer but they won't play. I've been using Verbatim blanks and I used Decrypter to rip them. I have Nero 9 as the burning program. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how'd you solve it? Thank you in advance for any and all input.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Backing up what movies from what format.
    Using an outdated program to rip switch to dvdfab hd decrypter or buy anydvd & clonedvd.
    If ripped from original dvd does original dvd play ok on the computer what about the ripped files did you bother to check them first before burning.

3. phoenixmg

phoenixmg Regular member

I tried the following:
    Olympus Has Fallen
    The Thing (2011)
    Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
    Paranormal Activity 4
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 & 2

I've using DVDFab HD Decrypter and the original discs played fine.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a "dvd shrink forum" issue.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

6. phoenixmg

phoenixmg Regular member

They appeared fine. I enabled video preview and didn't see any issues. I just tried some of them on some other computers, some XBoxes, PS3s, regular DVD/BluRay players and they either get stuck in a loop during trailers or don't show at all.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Forget about preview,if you've ripped the files to the computer hard drive check them in a media player on the computer to make sure menu's etc are intact including whatever titles of the dvd were ripped,it would at this point pay to check what settings were used when the original dvd was ripped & switch burning any dvds to rw so as not to create coasters until issue sorted,the only other thing it can be is the dvd's themselves,a test would be to rip any of the original dvd's your having trouble with again but this time check for updated version of the ripper & then try playing the ripped files on the comp,however also go grab anydvd & clonedvd & rip that same dvd & then burn both ripped sets to RW media & see what happens,this is assuming the files play ok on the computer once ripped,basically you've got to figure out 1 by 1 which process is causing the issue,normally if a ripped dvd that is then played on the computer navigates the menu & plays it's titles in the correct order will run fine once burned to dvd

vlc & klite should play them however cyberlink is specifically designed for dvd's & i've found the other two can have playback issues with menu navigation but very rarely

edit: perhaps fixvts may be of use it's in the software setction,menushrink can be used to reduce the size of the menu if need-be,info on their use is in guides section

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  8. phoenixmg

phoenixmg Regular member

Oh OK. I'll try that and update.

9. phoenixmg

phoenixmg Regular member

I'll have to get back the rest of the DVDs that tried backing up. I ripped the files to an external hard drive and so far they're running smoothly. I had more than I mentioned before that I forgot I ripped.

10. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If they play fine on the comp with say two different media players then in all likely hood they will be fine when burned,however since i'm now using a windows 7 64bit machine dvdfab doesn't work as well as it does in xp,so i switched to anydvd,all the dvd's you listed were originally ripped with fab except for,Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 & 2 & olympus where i used anydvd,it has to be a non updated version of fab you were using it's very very only occasionally dvdfab does get updated in time for newer protections,unless there's a dvd drive read issue,actually rip speed can affect the rip tho that tends to show up as skipping if disc is scratched reasonably badly

11. phoenixmg

phoenixmg Regular member

How exactly do you access hd Decrypter on DVD fab? I redownloaded and the menu changed up. Do I just register it and it would go to it since I used a trial before?

12. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

the trial is 30 days it may be possible to reset it if your familiar with the registry..lol..

there's two versions you can download the most recent of version 8 or version 9 which is new,if you use the most recent of v8 you can by pass that registration/trial window by ticking the "don't show again box at bottom left or it maybe in another corner" as for v9 i can't remember whether its trial or not or if its even free

edit: v8 should be able to rip the movies you want done

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  13. phoenixmg

phoenixmg Regular member

I was using version 8.2.2.9 which was dated June 19, 2013. The movies ripped OK and went to external drive I saved them on fine. I used DVD Shrink and Nero 9 to burn. For the most part, they don't play at all but are detected by whatever player I'm using. A couple have been stuck on a trailer.

14. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

try ripping one of those backups that gets stuck see if fab can read it or not just in case it's a disc issue

15. phoenixmg

phoenixmg Regular member

Sorry for the delay. Fab overwrote & deleted the file. I finally got all the discs I ripped and they play fine on everything. I'm still having trouble accessing the HD option on the download.

16. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

HD Option ? you meann fab,i'm not sure about the hd option as i only use it for sd dvd's,tho i have bought fab i can rip hd movies of hd-dvd or bluray if i so choose & unless you have hd movies then you won't be able to create hd anything

17. phoenixmg

phoenixmg Regular member

I meant the HDDecrypter on Fab. The backups are detected and play when I select a chapter on some laptops and PCs that I've tried them on.